500 mhz, 733 mhz, 933 mhz make a difference in surfing?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

carsncats

I would like to get an older PC just for surfing web, ebay, email...
I have dial-up, it is the only option for us...Will there be any difference in the 500mhz, 733mhz, or 933 mhz for this..? ....
Also is a better video card neccesary than the standard on-board ones? thank you for your time....

Doh

I wasted alot of time and money trying to tweak my first pc with windows 98, working on a dialup connection to go faster. With all of the wasted money I spent I could have paid for a year of high speed cable.

carsncats

I understand that....)....We live in the country and can't get Cable or dsl....and don't plan on moving .... We had a 500 mhz with geforce 2 that I liked just fine...but it died...and we are using a 333 mhz with just standard video and it is much slower...so would like to know if its the video card or the mhz that made the one I liked faster?

Mostly, surfing only improves with the type of connection, or the speed of the modem or ethernet card. The fastest modem you could get (and probably have since they cost almost nothing) would be as fast as your surfing would get. No processor or RAM or video card would make a lick of difference.
So to speed up your connection, make sure you have the fastest modem you can find.

No, getting a faster processor will not improve your internet speed, unless you're upgrading from a 75MHz Pentium with a software modem. 500MHz is plenty.

many moons ago i went from a 200mhz to a 400mhz, both pcz had separate gfx cards, now i was on broardband and noticed no difference in speed, so much of you internet speed has to do with your connection to your isp, if you have a lot of interference on your lines or if some of the lines are poorly maintained then that can cause problems. That being said I would have a separate gfx card, just to help the pages fill as fast as they can, and maybe they will appear sharper on the monitor.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!