1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

500gig HDD not recognized by BIOS

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Swiper, Mar 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

Hello

I have 500gig seagate drive that will not show up in BIOS
    Tried on 3 different motherboards
    Its a SATA drive

Does anyone know of any good utility programs that will scan the SATA controllers in an attempt to locate this drive
    the drive was working yesterday without issue
    no power surges etc..... just decided to not work during a update/reboot of system.

I have tried some utilities but without it appearing in BIOS, I guess there is not a whole lot I can do
    Was hoping someone may know of a utility that will search the SATA controller for anything connected to it etc..

Thanks

2. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

Well, don't think any of those tools I was asking for will work
    Appears that this drive is not getting any power to it
    no matter which power cable / or even power supply I use

Any ideas how I can get power to it (long enough) to get data from it
    :)

hehe

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If the drive does not ID in the bios, you are wasting your time with any utilities.

If you have it plugged into a working power connector, then there is not much you can do except replace the drive and restore your backup of the drive.

4. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

they say you can zip-lok it,
    freezer for 4 - 6 hrs,
    say prayer to the great computer god,
    make the sign of ms over it,
    do a quick plug-in,
    and hope..........

5. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

ps,
    forget the part about sacrificing the eldest child,
    it don't help,
    already tried it, twice..............
    wait a minute,
    or was that the youngest?...........

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I doubt the freezer trick will work since the problem seems to be drive electrics. Using the freezer sometimes works for drives that are experiencing bearing failure.

You really have only about three options;

1 Attempt to swap the circuit board on the drive. Note this must be one from the same type of drive.

2 Take the drive to a data recovery shop. This is NOT a cheap option. Data recovery costs do vary by area however where I live it starts at $125 or so for a simple recovery and goes up from there.

3 Just replace the drive and restore the backup you hopefully made.

7. Swiper

Swiper Thread Starter

I have no problem paying for another exact drive, but is it easy to swap boards out.
    This drive had a known issue with it and also had a firmware update to correct it, but since people don't go looking for this stuff until it actually dies, its really useless.

I think mr.seagate should have some responsibility to attempt to replace the board and send back this drive with all its contents on it since they knew a problem existed.

I am mechanically inclined enough to swap boards, just curious if this is a difficult task or requires any soldering at all. ( I don't have any soldering tools )

thx !!

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/808516

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice