1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

500watts PS or 300watts PS for new casing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Leinan, Jul 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Leinan

Leinan Thread Starter

Hi, just need an advice is it really a must to have a 500 watts power supply than the usual 300 watts power supply for a new casing?

Specs are P4 524 3.06 - 1mb cache 533mhz / ECS P4M800-M7 audio+vga+lan+8x agp+S.ATA or MSI 865PeNeo3-V i848 audio+lan+8x agp+S.ATA / Seagate 80GB S.ATA / Inno FX5500 256DDR + TV-DVi 128bit / 1GB Kingston DDR400 / LG GS-H20L 16x Lightscribe

thanks in advance. :)

2. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

3. Mulderator

Mulderator

I was going to say the same--better off getting a good 300 Watt PS than a crappy 500 Watt.

The thing is that 95% of the time, that 300 Watts would probably be fine--its only when you may have some peripherals hooked up that are sucking juice or adding new cards or hard drives or optical drives--they all need power. But I would say a basic one hard drive, one optical drive, one video card system probably will do fine with 300.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd stick with a name brand and probably start my search around 400 watts and work up. For the configuration in question, 400W should be plenty.

5. Leinan

Leinan Thread Starter

Thank you guys for your replies :) I'll check on the links. I'll just have 2 hard drives one internal and the other external and the rest is the specs that I already posted earlier.

6. Leinan

Leinan Thread Starter

BTw are there any suggestions for a brand name? Thanks.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Antec, Enermax, Sparkle, Fortron, OCZ, PC power and cooling to name a few. Epower isn't too bad either.

8. pugmug

pugmug Banned

Can't do better than PC Power&Cooling but they cost big time.

9. Leinan

Leinan Thread Starter

thanks again. :)

10. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Another thought, a 500W high quality PSU will give you roomfor future expansion. I woul dsay 450W is the bare minimum I would use. But then I tend to look ahead at what I want inthe future.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483693

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice