501/505 error message with Windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

brownpanda

Hi, this is, I think, new. I can't find anything on this and all 501/505 message posts are related to Windows XP not 7. But, I have a 501/505 error message in my Windows 7. Funny thing, it is a problem with all my browsers (IE and Firefox) and I cannot access any website with the www. prefix. Urls without this prefix works fine. The only thing I can think of is that I downloaded and installed a Java update yesterday. Did this cause the 501/505 error problem? I also tried following the steps recommended by Microsoft for XP (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811262). No joy. Is this a virus? Help.

LagunaGTO

Account Closed
The website is unable to display the webpage (HTTP 501 or 505)
Error 501 (HTTP 501 - Not Implemented) means that the website you're visiting isn't set up to display the content your browser is requesting. For example, the browser is asking for a file with a video extension (.AVI), but is telling the website it's looking for an HTML page.
Error 505 (HTTP 505 - Version Not Supported) means the website doesn't support the version of the HTTP protocol your browser uses to request the webpage (HTTP/1.1 being the most common).
What versions of your browsers are you running? Does this happen to www.google.com?

• Close all your browsers
  • Open a command prompt and type in netsh winsock reset
  • and then ipconfig /flushdns
  • and then ipconfig /release
  • and then ipconfig/renew
NOTE: It is very important you do them in that order.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts