1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

512 MB Card Laggz!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gloryninja, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gloryninja

gloryninja Thread Starter

hi i got this onboard grapihcs card 512 MB but the thing is , it lags on games

NVIDIA GeForce 6100 nForce 405 <<< my Grpahics card and looks like my motherboard name as well ....

i really need help

i got 1250 MB RAM
    Windows Xp HOme

if there any updates or antyhing?

it shouldnt lag this way! not with a fast performing computer

2. telegramsam

telegramsam

Onboard video won't handle games well. It shares system memory, so it tends to slow everything down.

3. gloryninja

i no ... it was 256 now its 512... so what do u recommend

4. telegramsam

telegramsam

Post the rest of your system specs and let's see what kind of video card you can put in there, if you can...

You may have to upgrade your power supply too.

5. brite750

brite750

yeah the thing is its stealing 512 away from your system, have to have a separate card with its own memory

6. telegramsam

telegramsam

You can download a little program to tell you what your mainboard specs are here:

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

We have to look at that before making any video card recommendations.

7. gloryninja

i attached the info

Attached Files:

• cpuz.txt
      File size:
      42.6 KB
      Views:
  8. DeLorean

DeLorean

That shows that you have a 1024Mb memory stick and a 512Mb memory stick, both are system ram and neither are dedicated to graphics so unless your onboard graphics chip does have some amount of memory dedicated to it (unlikely) it is using system ram only which will be very poor for gaming.

Many motherboards these days come with a host of onboard features such as Network, Sound, etc and most work as well as a standalone card would however onboard graphics are almost universally crap for modern gaming. The current state of onboard graphics solutions are completely silly as they are more than what would be needed to run a typical 'office' PC but not good enough to run a 'gaming' PC.

9. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

10. gloryninja

i have 512 and 1 gb one... so wot do u manz reccomended

11. telegramsam

telegramsam

How much gaming do you do--hardcore, medium......?

12. gloryninja

medium! got a life ya no :D:D

13. telegramsam

telegramsam

Here's a mid-level card that's going for an awesome price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150170

Now we have two problems here that could turn out to be issues.

I looked at the picture of that board, and there's a giant heat sink directly under the PCIex16 slot. Look at yours and look at the picture of the video card, this thing MIGHT NOT FIT.

You may also end up with power issues. The website doesn't say how much power you have, look at your sticker and see. I would say you should be in the minimum 350W area. There's a good chance you'll need to replace your power supply.

See what you have and post back...

14. gloryninja

i got a spare unused PSU 450W.... should i put tht in? also can you show me some cards in the uk... and A Nvidia Card

15. telegramsam

telegramsam

I would definitely upgrade the PSU, for safety purposes.

I'll hunt for a UK parts place. Somebody here recommended one--I'll see what I can find.

I'd stick with that card though. That's a pretty solid card for not a ton of money. PLEASE check the size of that heat sink though. You may have space issues. You do NOT want to get all excited to get rolling on BF2 and not be able install your card!

Anyone have a UK source to recommend???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/540319

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice