1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

512MB RAM too slow for Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by ishenka, Mar 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ishenka

ishenka Thread Starter

Hi, I've heard that 512mb of RAM is too small to run vista. Is this the case? I have a new laptop with 512mb - i know its small but i only need it for study and it was cheap!! ;)) and its running on vista but it is really really really slow.

Should i format and reload with XP or is there something i can do to speed it up.

Cheers, Katy

2. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    I would most definitely get a minimun of 1gb of memory for Vista. 2gb would be even better. I personally do not understand why any reputable company would sell a computer with Vista as the OS and only 512mb of memory.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Hopefully when the laptop was purchased, there is a single 512 meg chip. Then to get to at least 1 gig, you would just need one additional 512 meg chip

If there were 2-256 meg chips, it will cost a bit more.

4. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Well it's probably only running Vista Home Basic, which doesn't require AS MUCH memory as the other versions, but I would still upgrade the chips. The more memory the better with Vista.

5. ishenka

ishenka Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I do that. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!