1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5200fx and games

Discussion in 'Games' started by LeoBloom., Jul 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Thread Starter

Hi

I know this is a crappy card and I don't play much on this computer but for the past 3 months or so, something weird happens that did not happen before. Basically, any game I play (Halo, Hitman, Splinter Cell) freezes for about 7 seconds with sound disappearing at the last 3 or 2 seconds of the 7 and then the game unfreezes. Scenario: I am running with shooting coming around me, the frame freezes but the bg music keeps playing and shooting seems like its prerecorded and repeating (not realtime) and then all sound stops for 2 seconds. I unfreeze and everything seems normal. What could be causing this?

5200fx
    Pentium 4 2.8Ghz
    512 MB Ram
    Dell

2. RT

RT

Hi leo,
    First thing I would do is clean up the machine, since you said this has been 3 months running...:
    CleanUp! will do alot of regular maintenance easily.

Next I'd be sure your AV prog is up to date, and you've run a spyware/malware killer like AdAware, or an equivilant.

Stop any background programs you don't need, other than the game.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If your video disappears when it does that, that means the video card is toast. I had the exact one and it did what you described.

4. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Thread Starter

No the video does not disappear, its just that the frame freezes on the screen.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/595818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice