1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

54g 82.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM/SpeedBooster support

Discussion in 'Networking' started by babymeena, Sep 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, guys. I just bought a new laptop: Compaq Presario R3240US and want to set up wireless network. I need to be able to connect to my cable modem with both my desktop and laptop. I also would like to be able to transfer files from my desktop to laptop as I wish to clean install my desktop.
    I was reading up on wireless routers and am more confused than ever! Some article said that there is no need to buy 108mbps if the netword card's speed doesn't match it. I think my "54g 82.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM/SpeedBooster support" card supports up to 54 mpbs. Could anyone tell me if that's true? I wanted to buy 108 mbps router but if above is true why bother, right?
    Also what brand of routers are reliable and EASY to use? As you could tell, I'm a complete newbie at this and don't want to spend hours setting up and operating it. Need something easy and fast. Too much to ask maybe but I'm sure you guys could steer me in the right direction. Recommendations will be greatly appreciated. ;)

2. 5mi11er

5mi11er

I'm not familiar with the card, and am not motivated enough to look it up, but in general anything that does more than 54Mbps is not standard and may not work with any other brand of equipment. But all the 802.11 'g' equipment is supposed to interoperate at least at 54 Mbps. So, if you buy a 108 Mbps capable router, you will probably have to buy the same brand of card to make use of the extra speed. But, that router should still be able to interoperate with whatever card you currently have at the standard 54 Mbps.

Hope that helps,

-Scott

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have different brands of wireless networking equipment, turn off any proprietary speed boost features. They frequently cause failures to connect.

4. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, johnwill. If I understand you correctly, you mean I need to see what brand network equip I have in my laptop, right? How would I find out? I went out and bought netgear 54mbps wireless access point. I wonder if it's any good. I guess I'll find out, huh??? Thanks for the reply.

5. JohnWill

In both ends you need to disable any proprietary "special" features and just stick with plain 802.11g WiFi for the best results.

6. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi again, johnwill. After spending about an hour trying to connect this darn network "stuff", I found out that what I bought is not enough. I guess I need a router too if I need to connect to cable modem? If I'm right, how come those morons at the computer store didn't recommend it since I mentioned it would be a new set up? Could you tell me what exactly I need for connecting both my PC & laptop to share files and internet connection between them? I also want to use my laptop in my bedroom and have wireless internet connection. I might even have to have someone come out to install it for me. I'm just sick of looking at this thing! It's soooo hard to get a straight answer in the CD they provided to supposedly "assist" me. So I turn to you. Please help.

7. JohnWill

Yes, I mistakenly thought you had a router, that's the obvious first step. :) You could use ICS and dispense with the router, but it's a real PITA, and you need to keep the machine connected to the broadband modem on all the time for the other machine to connect. I'd get the router, they're dirt cheap nowadays.

8. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Thanks, johnwill. I'll start looking for one. I just can't believe those moron "know-it-all" computer sales lamers. Now I need to make a second trip! :(

9. JohnWill

You don't really think that $9/hr clerks at the local computer store are networking experts, do you? :D

10. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Yeah, I guess I should've known better. So should I return the darn access point and buy one of those 3 in 1 units? Or should I buy a router? How does this networking really work? Now that I know not to trust those ppl, how can I get the info I need? Do you know what I need? I'd appreciate any help! Thanks.

11. JohnWill

I'd buy a router, there are tons of rebate deals for peanuts on them at most major office supply and computer stores.

12. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, johnwill. I finally decided on Netgear WGT624 Super G 108 Mbps Wireless Router. I haven't received it yet. I suppose that it's a little bit more than I could use since my laptop probably can't catch up with the router but I'm thinking ahead and buying a slightly faster one. Do you think it was a good idea? I really really hope that it works!

13. 5mi11er

5mi11er

It should be fine. They're relatively cheap. The matching card will probably drop in price after a few months. Does the laptop have an integrated wireless card, or just a regular pcmcia wireless card? I don't see that info mentioned anywhere in this thread...

14. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hi, 5mi11er. I have 54g 82.11b/g WLAN with 125HSM/SpeedBooster support on my laptop. I have none on my desktop but it would be wired. Expected delivery date is today. I hope I could set it up without a problem. =) Thanks for the comment.

15. babymeena

babymeena Thread Starter

Hello, johnwill & 5mi11er. I finally received my Netgear WGT624 Super G router. I succeeded in connecting my desktop to the router and obtained internet connection through it. However I have no idea how to connect my laptop to the network to use the cable modem internet connection and also to share files from the desktop. Laptop does not show any available network. I suppose I need to somehow configure my laptop but I haven't the foggiest idea how to go about doing that. Could anyone please help? I don't want to unplug cable modem from router in case I might mess up so my laptop has no internet connection. I'm trying to install driver for my HP printer on my laptop but the installation disk keeps on giving me fatal error. I might have to go online to find appropriate driver. BUT I have no internet connection! I have laptop connection to router question in Network forum: http://forums.techguy.org/t277596.html . Does life have to be this complicated????? :(

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!