1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

54g card does not find anything, settings or hardware?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by FusionSlayer, Jun 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FusionSlayer

FusionSlayer Thread Starter

Here's the setup:
    Recently purchased an EMachines M6805 laptop (A64 3000+). Laptop comes with built in 802.11b/g lan in the form of a Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance wireless card.

After fiddling with it for 10 minutes, wireless worked out of the box. It came with Windows XP EMachines Version pre-installed with all the drivers. Now, of course I'm too stupid to settle for this, so I reformatted two days later and put XP Pro on here. It was lightning fast after that. Problem was, it had none of the drivers on here, so I chickened out and put my other copy of normal Windows XP Home on here. I found the drivers this time and installed them from a restore CD, and wireless worked and so did wired. So far so good.

The problem arose in that Win XP Home didn't accept the emachines cd-key cause it was for a specific version, and i wanted to use my legal home copies, because they don't have all the bloatware the Emachines one does. So I stupidly resorted to killing the WPA (windows product activation) process with a crack. I'm pretty sure I can narrow that down to when it stopped working, though I can't be sure because I fell asleep with my pc on in my bed, and woke up 4 hours later with it sitting next to me. This is around the last time it worked, but I was tired, so don't clearly recollect.

I then got frustrated and reinstalled XP Pro one more time, and it still didn't work even with the drivers. Now I've put the original EMachines copy of Win XP home back on here, and it won't work.

I'm using a Linksys Cable/DSL Wireless/Wired 802.11b router. The settings are for a broadcast SSID, no wep, default channel (not normally, but right now to increase chance of fixing it). The other wireless pc (desktop) in the house is working fine on the network. I've set the Broadcom to 802.11b mode, and set the channel in the hardware settings to 6. The same settings that worked before. I know it's not my network messing up, the laptop doesn't pick up my neighbor's anymore, or when I went to my friends. I'm running Network Stumbler to scan for any network, but it hasn't been seeing anything at all.

Device is listed as working in device manager and hardware config. I've had windows uninstall and reinstall the device, same thing. No response. Internet works fine when I plug in to the built in lan card. One thing that is weird is when i click "show available wireless networks" it shows nothing, but won't let me click "advanced" in the bottom left hand corner. I think that covers it, I know that was lengthy, but I really could use some help here.

Mods if this should be in hardware, you can move it, or duplicate it there. Im not sure, because at this point im leaning towards a hardware problem, as inprobable as it sounds. I've got a 3 year warranty, so that would not be a huge problem. Anyway, hope I can find some help here. I appreciate it guys.

Thanks.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should be able to reset the BIOS settings to factory defaults, restore the original configuration from the restore CD that came with the box. If the wireless still doesn't work, I'd send it back for repair.

3. FusionSlayer

BIOS: Good thinking. Installing XP Pro probably screwed with that.

The reason I can't click advanced on "show wireless networks" is when i have netstumbler running, or when i am connected through wire, it doesn't let it work.

The only other thing i noticed is the WLAN utility says "Radio is disabled". I don't really know what that means, but when i try and turn it on, it says "use the hardware radio control to activate this" or something, and I thought it might have been on before - I don't know though. Thanks though John, you always come through for me. :)

4. JohnWill

Don't thank me yet, you don't have it working! :D

5. FusionSlayer

john, I sent it back to Best Buy and they replaced it within 10 minutes. Great service. I convinced the tech that I tried everything, so it didn't take long.

When I got home with the new one, the wireless didn't work out of the box. I was now very suspicious of things. Skeptically, I opened the manual as a pdf....four pages in I remembered the step I forgot: Turning on the wireless by pressing "Fn + F2". That is what the utility meant by "radio is disabled". So once I hit that little combination, wireless worked fine. What else that means is that I returned a perfectly functional laptop to BB - oh well. Someone there who knows what they are doing will realize it.

By the way, why the heck would they make you turn on the wireless? Why not have it automatically on? That's so dumb. When I put a new OS in, I forgot to enable it, so that basically screwed me over. Anyway, thanks for giving me some advice.

-edit-

When you read this, if you could check out this thread: http://forums.techguy.org/t236838.html - it's the latest problem im having with this laptop. Not really a problem, just a question. I'm sure you can figure it out quickly.

6. JohnWill

I think being able to turn off the wireless would be a nice security feature if you were in a hostile environment, say your local coffee shop. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/236667

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice