1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

560 Object Access Audit Failure Issue

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Verio, Sep 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Verio

Verio Thread Starter

Good Afternnon,
    I'm about at wits end with an issue I am having with 3 computers in my lab. These 3 machines are running Windows XP Service Pack 3. They are hooked up via a Network Switch and are using standard file sharing. There is no Domain Controller. I have enabled auditing for all object access failures for certain folders. Specifically, Windows\system32, Windows\Repair, and Windows\System.

I have allowed "Read" only from these folders, however, I am receiving numerous 560 Object Access Failure Audits labeled as SC_Manager, services.exe. I know the users are not purposefully attempting to write to the restricted files, and it must be a Windows function, but it is becoming tiresome sorting through hundreds of Failed Audits each week, which are erroneous.

On my other machines that I have in the lab, they are running Service Pack 2, and I have since installed a Hotfix for the specific problem, located in KB Article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910720/ . However, I cannot install this Hotfix on the Service Pack 3 machines, because it was supposedly fixed in the SP3 deployment package. It obviously was not.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. I do need to add though, a couple of caveats. I cannot turn Auditing off and I cannot change the auditing permissions of the specific System Files.

Thank you.

2. Verio

Verio Thread Starter

Bumping.

3. Verio

Verio Thread Starter

Bump again

4. Verio

Verio Thread Starter

5. Verio

Verio Thread Starter

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!