1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

56k modem connects at 28,800 bps

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by 4dsmom, Dec 23, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Was trying to do some maintenance on grandaughter's PC, because she says it runs so slow. She has Windows 98, a 750Mhz with a 56k modem but her internet connects at 28,800. The settings are set at the highest number possible. What causes this? She says it is their phone line. I say it is the ISP, maybe some numbers need changed in the setup. Any suggestions?

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

hi there.... Im going to advise you to go to the Help file in the start menu & follow troubleshooting the connection....

This is a long process w/ many steps involved. Actually I advise you to call the ISP & let them walk you thru it. It can be as simple as can be but I used to have terrible problems w/ my connections & it was not their fault or the phone companys but my software was to blame. So call them first.

3. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi 4dsmom,
    Do you use AOL or Compuserve? If so ,go to start, find, find files. In the box type global.org
    Make sure you search the main drive (probably C:). Click on find.
    If you have any of these, Highlight them one at a time and hit delete on keyboard. When you click on your AOL or Compuserve icon you will have to go through a minor setup. Each time you get off internet go back and find those files again. Keep the one in the backup folder. Delete the other. Also when you get off the internet hit Ctrl-Alt-Delete and highlight Rnnaap. Click on end task. This is a glitch in AOL and Compuserve.
    Of course if you dont use these im telling you this for my own sake lol

4. ezymony

ezymony

If you can try another phone cable or try pluggin it in to another phone jack

5. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your suggestions. She has Stargate for an ISP. She has moved PC to a different room and also has rearranged PC desk several times and so has used several different phone jacks. All with the same result. Will have her try calling ISP and do the trouble shooting if they have no answer.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

Just another thought.
    What type of modem are you using(Internal winmodem or external)
    I was using a winmodem and could never get a connect speed higher than 28.8.
    I installed an external USR 56k modem and now consistently connect at 37.7 and sometimes as high as 41.2.That's about as high as I can get from my phone lines and ISP.

Good luck

7. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

It is an internal modem and that is about all I know about it. Her PC is a Gateway, Professional model about 14 months old. She doesn't live close to me so I can't check on too much til I visit again. Thanks

8. $teve

$teve

hi there 4dsmom,go through all the stuff in the above replies,if you still have no joy,post back here........it maybe the settings of your modem and dial-up adapter,possibly being set to only connect at this speed.
    let us know and someone will walk you through how to manually set it up fro the best throughput.
    good luck & merry xmas:)

9. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Thank you Superman.
    I didn't know anyone still ironed shirts! LOL When I get back to her house, it might be some time, I will try what you suggest. I will save this, in case I need it I can get back to you. I thank everyone for there help. I just wish I lived closer to her so I could try some of these suggestions. I have emailed her with the easier ones, (like call her ISP) LOL. Time will tell.
    Happy Holidays Everyone!

10. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Im not sure you can do this but try right clicking on this page anywhere blank & choose "SEND TO" ... e-mail recipeint.... see if you can send this page to her.

11. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

Thanks again
    I have forwarded all of these ideas to her. I don't know if she will follow through on them or not. If she doesn't When I get to her place again I will see what I can do.

Thanks bunches

12. kramnnim

kramnnim

Do you have another PC and/or modem you could try using at her place? It might be the phone lines, if she lives out in the country, or something. One place I used to live at could only connect at 28.8, but 6-7 miles away I'm getting 52.

13. 4dsmom

4dsmom Thread Starter

I wouldn't say she lives in the country. It is a well populated area in the suburbs of Pittsburgh. She does within a few miles of a county line and probably phone companies are different. It may be that she is at "near end of a phone line." Shen is to call ISP this week. She was on AOL previously but on a much older and slower PC so she really didn't think too much about her speed until I used it and started checking things out.

Maybe what she told me originally about the phone line not being able to transmit any faster was right. Ol grandma thought she didn't know what she was talking about. Kids these days are smarter than I give them credit for.

Hopefully they call ISP this week and see what comes of that.
    Thanks, I have sure got a lot of suggestions from this post.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!