1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

56K modem noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KrzyPrk, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

How do I disable the modem noise when dialing? It's so loud~!
    I went to device manager and set the Speaker Volume to OFF but I still can hear it. what gives?
    :confused:

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Hi... you can adjust the volumn so that it isn't so loud by going to start/settings/internet Options ... (or from IE start here... Tools / Int. options ).......connection/settings/property/configure... just slide the bar to the left

3. ezymony

ezymony

i dont know much about 98se but in win 98 you can go to device manager click + on modem then click modem it will show speaker volume

4. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

thanks for the reply

I cant seem to click on Property after Setting right now. Maybe itz cuz I'm on broadband now? I had to use dial up last night cuz my cable was down for a bit. Man, it was really loud. I guess I'll try to configure that when I go online w/ dial up later.

ezymony, thanks..but i have tried that already which i mentioned at my first post. :) :) :) ;) ;)

5. frenat

frenat

Both suggestions are pointing to a similar thing to try to lower the volume. The problem is, that the volume comtrol in windows doe not always work and if it is not working in one location then it will most likely not work in another. One thing that should work regardless is if you go in to the modem properties from the control panel, highlight your modem then click on properties, then the connection tab then advanced. In the extra settings box, type m0. That is a zero and not the letter o. If there is already something there then just add that to the end of it.

6. KrzyPrk

KrzyPrk Thread Starter

hey..more options~!

yay~!

haha

thanks for the reply. I have looked into it just now...is there another way around this in WIN2000? I have a dual boot and most of the time I boot up w/ WIN2K.

also, is a modem a modem? i mean, if it's a 56K V.90...are they all the same? For some reason, when I did log on w/ dial up...it was slow in surfing compared w/ my friends. I just have a modem for just in case and to fax. I'm wondering if there's a way to improve the speed.

7. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Your modem speed is going to vary depending on your telephone line.....if there's noise, it'll be slower.....basically 56,000 is the best you'll get.....most days on mine I can get 40,000 - 44,000 and they just put a new line in :(

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65149

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice