1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

56K US Robotics modem not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by neongeon, Nov 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neongeon

neongeon Thread Starter

Hi guys. I've got another hardware problem for you. I only came back this time because of your generous help with my sound card problem the last time, which has solved thanks to you all.
    Here's the deal. I got his computer about 3 months ago. The 56K US Robotics modem has never worked for as long as I've had it. When I checked the control panel I found out that it's a "US Robotics 56K Voice Win" on com port 2 and has an IRQ 15.
    In case you're wondering how I get online, I'm using my dsl connection. Luckily, it doesn't go down that much and when it does, it's never down long enough for me to go back to dialup.
    However, I never now when I might need a working modem so that's why I'm here. So when I try to start a connection in dial-up networking, I hear the modem "click on" and then "click off" about 3 secs later.
    Then widows tells me this:
    error 630
    {The modem is not responding properly. Please verify that the modem is plugged in to the computer and to the telephone line.
    If the problem persists, please select 'More Help' button to start the Windows 98 Modem Troubleshooter.}

Now guys, I did make sure every connection in the back was good and that the modem was fully seated in the ISA slot.
    Other than that I have no clue what to do. What do you guys think?
    thanks in advance

2. chewie1012

chewie1012 Guest

If you have the software that came with the modem you might try removing the modem in device manager and then reinstalling the modem software. I have had some problems with us robotics win modems before and I just reloaded the software and it fixed it. I have dsl also and I use my modem to fax with.

3. Depillpusher

Depillpusher

Hi, not saying I am the brightest light, but I have had a US Robitics 56k modem, and had trouble. What I had to do was uninstall from the device manager and then physically remove and re-insert the modem, making sure that it was in full contact and not pulling where you screw it in, then re-install the software. If it is pulling at the screw it pulls the modem at the farthest end out of the slot, thus improper connection. Believe me it took more than one try and a trip to my puter dude to get it right....... $15 later. Good Luck.
    Ronda:D

4. neongeon

neongeon Thread Starter

thanks for replying chewie and Rhonda. I don't have the exact software on a disk or cd but windows seems to have and when I uninstall the modem in the control panel and do a restart, windows will find the modem and install the software for it. I've tried that numerous times.
    Rhonda you might be right. This modem in my computer now is an isa one and my last was a pci. This isa is way bigger so I beleive you my be right about it not being fully seated. GIve me a minute and I'll try to reset it. But my questions to you guys is that if the modem isn't seated correctly, windows will still find it and install drivers for it?
    Thanks again guys

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

What com port shows up in the control panel/modems when you hit the diagnostics tab?

It can't be using IRQ 15.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Definately not good using 14 or 15...those are reserved for your primary and secondary IDE channels. I would also suspect that COM 2 is enabled in the BIOS causing a conflict.

7. neongeon

neongeon Thread Starter

The modem shows up on com port 2 in the control panel/modems in the diagnostics tab. When I click on the more info button in the same dialog it says the following info:

Port Information
    Port: COM2
    Interrupt: 15
    Address: 100
    UART: INS 8250
    Highest Speed: 115K Baud

U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win
    Identifier: *USR0033,ISAPNP\USR0033
    It then goes on to list the commands and responses.
    Oh I checked again. The modem is definitely on IRQ 15
    Where do we go from here?
    thanks again guys

8. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Can you post a listing of your IRQs?

Start button, run, then type msinfo32 and hit ok....go to hardware resources, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

Is this still your setup from before?

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Infrared PnP Serial Port (*PNP0510)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 (free)
    10 (free)
    11 Kingston EtherRx KNE111TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    15 Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller

Also, what happens in device manager if you try to uncheck the use automatic settings and manually change the IRQ?

9. chewie1012

chewie1012 Guest

can you move your modem to another slot?

10. neongeon

neongeon Thread Starter

here's my new setup:
    0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Infrared PnP Serial Port (*PNP0510)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 (free)
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 ECP Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 Creative Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128D (WDM)
    9 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    10 Kingston EtherRx KNE111TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    10 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
    11 Intel 82371SB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 Intel 82371SB PCI Bus Master IDE Controller
    15 U.S. Robotics 56K Voice Win

Now I did as you asked and changed the modem's irq from 15 to 5, since 5 was free. Now when I go into dialup and try a connection, I get the error #630 box very quickly. In fact I didn't even hear the modem click on and off like before. Also the resources tab for the modem in the device manager has disappeared so I can't change the irq back. Maybe it will come back when I reboot.
    thanks

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58109

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice