1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by brett489, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brett489

brett489 Thread Starter

Hi Im running on dial up and i dont have any other faster ways because of where i live theres no high speed and internet access on starchoice sattelite yet but back to my point the one thing that gets me mad is how 56k takes up the phone line does any one have a solution other than paying for another phone line so i can recieve calls and talk while im on the internet????

2. Toddles18

Toddles18

Not that I know of. There is a hardware device called catch a call that will alert you when someone calls you while you are online. It will put the internet on hold while you talk to whoever is calling. You can then resume the internet connection without having to redial. I believe AOL insituted something similar to this in their newest version, only it's built into the program. No hardware needed. I'm not a big fan of AOHELL though so I wouldn't know for sure.

3. brett489

brett489 Thread Starter

I heard there was something you can buy that your phone line plugs into or something that alows you to do things like using your phone while on the internet im not really sure what it is or how it works... but if anyone knows about anything like this plz reply

4. Toddles18

Toddles18

5. pooncat

pooncat

That Catch a call device only keeps you connected to the internet for 30 seconds or less when you take a call.

6. jm100dm

jm100dm

I used the catch-a-call device for about six months and it worked, sometimes but was also a pain. Often it would ring and there would not be anyone there, I believe this was caused when someone was trying to get into my computer. Sometimes zone-alarm would get 50 -100 hits a day and usually this would trigger the device to ring. (very annoying) Normally I could stay on-line as long as I hung up within 20-30 seconds.

Prior to Catch-a-call I used call-wave and that program was a delight. When a call comes through the caller leaves a message and then I return the calls that I want. Had to disconnect first though. Very reasonable but must set up call forwarding.

Currently I have my modem set to kick me off when a call comes through. Not a problem for me as I just reconnect when I'm through with the call. My current modem is a v92 and was hoping to do what you want to do. Unsuccessful so far. Tried two other Isp's to no avail.

Good Luck

jm100dm

7. brett489

brett489 Thread Starter

Thanks alot guys but im not sure thats what im looking for cause il play games and i would hate to disconnected after connecting into a server for 15 mins for a call but thanks alot anyways i might try those out.

8. jm100dm

jm100dm

Callwave is actually an internet answering machine that down loads the calls to your computer. You only respond to them when you want to. Others available too. Check below.

http://www.crays.com/ans/

9. brett489

brett489 Thread Starter

We already have a messaging thing that you can get to if the line is busy so people can leave messages when im online but thanks anyways

10. Hairy

Hairy

try searching for "call waiting modem"

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114592

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice