1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

580w PSU blown

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Selecta!, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selecta!

Selecta! Thread Starter

Hi, I've just switched my PC which has worked for ages (all components 4 month old) on after taking the cover off to inspect a fan. When I switched it on the PSU worked and fans spun for approx 10 secs then the PSU started sparking, the lights on its crackled and blew and then the PC switched off.

I've turned the PSU on seperately and it makes a high frequency whistling sound which takes ages to "wind down" when switched off although no parts are actually moving.
    I have no idea what other damage, if any, has been caused until I get a replacement. (dont have the receipt so probs cant RMA)

PSU: Hiper Type R 580W

Computer:

ASUS - P5B Deluxe Mobo
    Pentium E6700 conroe
    Corsiar XMS 2 PC6400 Ram
    2 x Western digital 80GB Sata
    Seagate Baracuda 160GB Sata
    DVD ROM Sony
    2 x Full size case fans
    Artic Freezer CPU Fan
    Nvidia 7900 GTX extreme
    Fan controller unit
    Floppy Drive
    EMU 1818m soundcard (c/w breakout box powered from computer)
    Netgear wireless card
    No overclocking whatsoever

Is it possible I've overloaded the PSU? I read that Hiper Type R wasn't compatible with pentium extreme dual core processors due to 8 pin connector. Is this applicable to conroe processors?

Its just I dont want to buy a replacement if its not going to be compatible.

Thanks in advance

2. mrbrownstone

mrbrownstone

I've heard bad things before about hiper PSUs I reccommend getting something a bit more name brand like a Seasonic, Coolermaster or Antec. Surf around the net and read some reviews.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544252

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice