1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

5GHz not work much, 2GHz 90% work

Discussion in 'Networking' started by chueh, Dec 2, 2019 at 8:12 AM.

Advertisement
  1. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

I called my Internet Service Provider about having slow internet and 5GHz not working well.

My ISP said everything on their end looking good and working properly. Since my wifi-router is not equipped by my ISP, they said that they couldn't do anything for me.

It maybe coincident, but 80% on Monday mornings is slow. Not only is 5GHz not working but 2 GHz is not working well either. Wifi can work only scarcely with 2GHz.

so ?????

Thanks in advance for any input

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What download/upload speeds are you getting with an ethernet connection directly to the modem? With ethernet connection to the router?

What speeds with the 2.4 GHz connection? (line of sight path between router and device)

Measure above with Speedtest.net or similar.

What exactly do you mean by "5GHz not working"?

3. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

If I don't unplug the modem or turn the router off to reset it, the internet isn't working.

Last night I did so, and internet has been working.
    1. Ping 31/ download 49.58/ upload 10.72 with router connection

2. Oddly, there is no internet whatsoever when the modem directly connected to the computer!!!!!!!!
    So, no test result.

3. Png 12/ download 24.60/ upload 10.98 after reconnected with router after direct unsuccessful modem connection

Two bands are available for my internet services 5 something GHz and 2.4GHz.

4. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Who is your ISP? What modem and router do you have?

For No. 2) Did you shut down the modem and computer, then turn on the modem, then the computer? The modem may have the router information still in it so the computer couldn't communicate.

The internet service doesn't provide the 5GHz/2.4GHz. This is the frequency the router is using to connect to your devices. Wireless can be tricky to troubleshoot since it can be affected by things out of your control.

5. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

I did again with the correct procedure as Couriant suggested, but still no internet with the direct connection from modem to computer. There are only two modes: either wifi or airplane. When the internet is not working, there is always a globe symbol with a - sign on it. When there is internet, then the wifi 5 curvy line symbol shows up.

I did the test again but still similar as before: ping 19, download 22, upload 11

My IPS is Spectrum

6. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

what speeds are you paying for?
    What speeds are your wireless card capable of?
    I am paying for 100mbps download speeds.
    my wireless card was only capable of 65mbps download speeds at 2G's
    I had to buy an external wireless card capable of 100mbps download speeds now at 5G's.
    I think if you look at the image below,that is maybe what your talking about?

Untitled.png

7. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Make sure your Ethernet adapter is set to automatically obtain IP. Also check with Spectrum that you are getting connected with Ethernet. They may be able to clear out the information to allow your computer to connect directly.

8. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

Snuffleu.. yes the img you provided is what I was talking about. So ok understood: my wireless card may be not capable to handle the speed.

But even so, why would the internet shut down on me from time to time? Plus, once it's not working, it can not work if I don't reset it?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What modem and router (if separate) do you have?

10. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

Please disreguard my reply as it has nothing to do with your "disconnection" issue.I must have overlooked/missed the disconnection part.My apologies.

11. chueh

chueh Thread Starter

Modem: Charter Communication E31T2V1
    Router: Linksys EA6900

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1236525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice