5GHz Wifi Dropping Issue

nchurik

I'm having issues with my 5GHz band dropping out sporadically. My 5GHz band will randomly drop throughout the day with no consistency - some days have no drops, some have multiple. When it happens, the 5GHz band will go down anywhere from 1-5 minutes but the 2.4GHz as well as wired connections work fine. I've been keeping an Excel log of dates/times of the drops as well as saving the router logs around those times if that's helpful.

I moved three months ago all with the same equipment with Xfinity and had never had any of these issues. As soon as I moved, I started to get the dropping issue. Both locations were in a four flat building in Chicago.

Equipment
Arris Surfbord SB8200 (less than one year old)
Netgear R7000P (also tried an older Netgear Nighthawk I had and it was having the same issues)

I've had Xfinity come out and it's nothing on their end (I didn't think it was given the hard wired and 2.4GHz connections never experience this issue). Could this be interference? I'm stumped on what else it could be.

TerryNet

Terry
I'm having issues with my 5GHz band dropping out sporadically.
If you mean that the signal drops (disappears; is not detectable) I would suspect a hardware issue with the router.

If you mean that the signal is still detectable, and still as strong, but devices are disconnected and no new connections can be made then interference seems to be a possibility. Check for it, or just change to a different channel to see if that makes a difference. Also, can you think of equipment that may run at only the problem times?

nchurik

The signal is still detectable and broadcasting and the signal strength is the same but you cannot connect to it nor is it broadcasting internet. I've changed channels. I've checked channels with InSSIDer before and changed but I'm still having the same issues. I can share those screenshots if need be.

I can't really think of any specific equipment running at those times but what would commonly cause disruption on only the 5GHz band?

TerryNet

Terry
what would commonly cause disruption on only the 5GHz band?
I have no idea. :(

I also have no more ideas about this problem. May be something external to you that is in your current location but not in your previous one.

managed

Allan
Do multiple devices lose the 5GHz connection or is it just one device ?

nchurik

Do multiple devices lose the 5GHz connection or is it just one device ?
Multiple devices lose connection. I woke up this morning and the 5GHz band was down and I noticed that it wouldn't come back until I moved my phone to the 2.4GHz and then it came right back. Could it be something on my phone?

nchurik

What channels have you tried in the 5GHz band?
I've tried all available bands (36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161) with no improvement. The 5GHz congestion doesn't look too bad on InSSIDer.

5 GHz is not good for a whole house, It is really only good in the room and rooms next to where the router is located. It don't like walls so if there are multiple walls between your devices and the router, then that could be the issue. see the following for more info and possible solutions.

https://www.actiontec.com/blog/obstacles-that-interfere-with-your-wi-fi-signal/
I only use it on my laptop which is docked in the same room as the router and on my cell phone which moves around the home. The range and performance on the 5GHz band is fine when it's up, it just drops.

zx10guy

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
This is a tough one. You've already tried the channels I would have recommended. I had an issue with a TCL smart TV connecting to my wireless network. I was told by TCL support to try channel 36 and that worked for me.

The only other thing I can suggest is to see if there is a newer firmware you can update to.

plodr

Liz
I'm getting lots of hits on Netgear R7000P dropping 5GHz signal.
This is a couple years old but it might be worth looking at
After many hours of troubleshooting, I've found that disabling the MU-MIMO function on the R7000P gives my devices a stable connection.
Advanced > Advanced Setup > Wireless Setting > [Disable MU-MIMO]. Apply.
Changing to channel 161 worked
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...hawk-R7000P-5G-wifi-signal-drops/td-p/1875149

Here is a 6 page thread
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Nighthawk-WiFi-Routers/R7000-dropping-5Ghz-randomly/td-p/1898930

Just from the few articles I've seen, I'd suspect Netgear hardware to be the problem.

One last thread from late 2020
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...z-Mode-No-response-on-Ticket-Case/m-p/2029763

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online