1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

6 Drives are showing up, only have 5

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by ajgraphcs, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ajgraphcs

ajgraphcs Thread Starter

I have a A floppy, B zip internal drive, C hard drive, D cd rom drive & Internal CD burner. And now there is another drive showing up.
    And some times neither one of my cd drives will read.

2. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Where is it showing up ? What (exactly) shows up ? What Operating System are you running ? The more details you supply the more likely someone will understand the situation and be able to help you.

3. ajgraphcs

ajgraphcs Thread Starter

I'm running windows 98 and it shows up when I go to my computer, or explorer. and it shows all the drives plus one extra letter.

4. Slithy Tove

Slithy Tove Guest

Okay, now we're getting somewhere. What kind of device is the "extra letter" ? If it's showing as a disk-drive then it may simply mean that you have two partitions on one of your drives. In the disk-drive world letters are assigned to partitions (logical drives) - NOT physical disk-drives. You could have only one physical disk-drive and have it show up as ten letters if you had ten partitions on the drive.

Go to this "extra" letter, right-click it, and display the properties. Study what it says. Try opening the drive (double-click it). Are there any files/data on it ? Does the "drive" have a label as well as a letter ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/94463

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice