1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

6144Mb of Memory, Game only detecting 64Mb.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Rhamboe, Dec 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhamboe

Rhamboe Thread Starter

I'm not a computer wizard, but I know my way around for the most part.
    If I don't know something, I Google it, But this one has me stumped.

Quick rundown:

Few months back- purchased Grand Theft Auto 4 from Steam.
    Downloaded, installed, and tried to play but the city wouldn't load correctly; huge invisible sections of walls, floors, etc.
    Figured it was a download error, and uninstalled, deleted all traces of, and then re-downloaded and re-installed to find the same problem.

Talked to Aladdin from tech support, From what I could understand, he told me I didn't have enough Memory.

Sure enough, inside the game options it had a warning telling me I only had 64Mb of memory.
    So I didn't worry about the game, figured I wasted some money.

Recently- thought about buying the new Skyrim, but I wanted to check to make sure it would work.
    I used YouGamers, and as the following picture shows, Only detects 64Mb of memory, but also says, I have 6144Mb.

[​IMG]

Id be very grateful for anyone who can offer an explanation, and/or a way to detect the rest of the Memory.

Cheers,
    - J

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Check what windows tells you. Hold down the Windows key and R > in the run box type dxdiag and press OK. Then click Save All Information > and save it to the desktop. Then attach it here please. DO NOT PASTE IT! it'a a lot of information to read.

3. raptor1166

raptor1166

64mb = video card
    6114mb = hard disk space
    needa get a new card what its sayin :p

4. Rhamboe

Rhamboe Thread Starter

I have a very very strong feeling I do not have only 64Mb of video memory,
    Although I do not know, you may be correct, but I play Oblivion, Sims 3, and DiRT 2 on high settings with good FPS and Im sure they require more then only 64Mb of video memory.

DxDiag Attached in this post.

- J

Attached Files:

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    Well you may be getting confused on what the game is asking you. The 64MB is for the video as stated. Your computer has a video card that uses your physical RAM (memory) to run the the graphics once the 64MB is used. This may also be used on your hard drive as virtual memory.

Memory: 6144MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 6050MB RAM

Display Memory: 1696 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
    Shared Memory: 1632 MB

Although I am suprised that The Sims 3 can run on your computer... though it could be the coding for GTA4. Generally laptops are not great for gaming so to get some of those games running is really something

6. Rhamboe

Rhamboe Thread Starter

I've really never had a problem with games, just some of them.
    The laptop is brand new. I understand what your saying though.

- J

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029413

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice