1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

64 bit processor? Do I have one?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by dayvid disaster, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dayvid disaster

dayvid disaster Thread Starter

Well I just finished building a computer, and I deeply desire to put windows vista ultimate 64 bit on it as duh my operating system, but I got my processor off of amazon.com and I know how 2 put computers 2gether, what each part does, and the basics like differences in ddr and sata and all that crap but im an idiot when it comes 2 what the computer can and will be able 2 do, I bought a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz processor and I think thats good for a 64 bit operating system but i just want 2 make sure... I'm sure some of u r out there thinking what an idiot, but i assure u im not entirely dumb with computers... and I plan on using it for hard core gaming so would a 64 bit system be alot slower then a 32?

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Virtually every chip over the last 5 years, probably a lot more, is 64 bit. The quad are all of that type. The distinction between 32 and 64 bit is almost entirely a software issue. 64 bit chips were hailed, when they came out, as the greatestt hing ever, unfortunarly MS didnt feel like writing huge amounts of new code ( I assume anyway) and stuck with 32. So while the hardware tech is there, the software support wasnt.
    So yes, 64 will work fine. However, in terms of gaming, I dont think you will find any real difference. Drivers are rarer for 64 bit systems, and some hardware may not work as a result. If you know you can get drivers for everything, then by all means go for it. there are 64 bit versions of a few games, byt many ar still 32. As such, I would say go for 32 for now, them compatability wont be an issue :)

3. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Doesnt Ultimate include both 64 and 32 ?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/747659

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice