1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

64 Bit Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by tullyhubbert, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tullyhubbert

tullyhubbert Thread Starter

How do I tell if my Toshiba notebook has a 32 or 64 bit processor? On System properties/General tab the processor is described as "Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2050 @ 1.60Ghz"

I have a 60 Gb hard drive, 1 Gig DDRII ram and 128Mb of shared graphics. Can't tell if I'm 32 or 64 Bit though :confused: I have applied for a free (ish) upgrade to home premium edition.

As my notebook only just meets the Vista home premium edition minimum requirements of 1 Gig ram and 128Mb graphics I'm wondering is it really sensible to upgrade to Vista. I'm currently using Xp SP2 and it runs a treat, I don't want to go to Vista and find the system chugs along slowly.

TIA ... John

One final thing, I was wondering if I do install Vista and decide its runs like a dog or I just don't like it, will my Toshiba restore disks remove it and reinstall Xp as per delivery state. I think the answer is yes but I'd just like it confirmed.

2. Crusnik

Crusnik

Download and run CPU-Z, it should give you the specs on your processor

http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php

And if you do in install from your restore disk, it'll probably just do a clean install of XP.. So make sure you back things up.

3. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

4. Tylerpp

Tylerpp

Hello, that CPU-Z program told me i have Intel P4 640, and on that website http://mysearch.intel.com/corporate/...archsubmit.y=0 it tells me that the Intel P4 640 with hyperthreading technology has Intel 64, so that means my cpu is 64bit? so i should get a 64 bit Vista? and does it matter if i got a 32 bit vista what would be the differences?

5. jmwills

jmwills

With the lack of available drivers and programs, I fail to see the need for a 64 bit OS right now. Yes, the hihg end enthusiasts can play with it , but for Joe Lunchbucket, the 32 bit is plenty.

6. jbhardman

jbhardman

As far as I understand the Core Duo processors are 32 bit and the Core 2 Duo processors are 64 bit enabled.

7. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

I've used the 32bit and right now the 64bit. This isn't like XP x64 where there was no driver or software support, actually right now I haven't found a program that won't run or a driver that won't work.

That sounds right then, in the future you may want to just start your own thread instead of hijacking some one else's. No hard feeling or anything but you'll usually get better results that way.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice