1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

64 bits -- does it matter?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hl5, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hl5

hl5 Thread Starter

Hi. I posted a long rambling thing a little while ago because I'm looking at a new laptop. Let me cut out all that stuff and get to one point I'm really curious about -- does 64 bits matter?

I know some people say this is just around the corner, but is it a revolution or just hype?

Obviously I am also curious whether there is a point in waiting to buy a new computer until Intel goes 64 bit -- but the computer I have now is ancient and can't run anything anymore, so I probably don't have that luxury.

Still, I wonder what 64 bits actually means. It's my feeling that 32 bits is doing a pretty decent job and going from 8 --> 16 and 16 --> 32 were the real revolutions. But maybe someone has a different take.

2. happyrck

happyrck

3. guidzilla

guidzilla

Most things are currently still made for 32 bit. Their is exceptions like XP 64 which doesn't exactly have a ton of vendor support behind it yet and probably won't in my opinion, and things like Valve releasing 64bit tweaked portions of halflife2, etc.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

At some point, 64 bit processing will be significantly better than 32 bit. Of course, you can do some "future proofing" by picking up an AMD 64 based system, since they run 32 bit applications equally well. :)

5. Lurker1

Lurker1

Yes I have a 64 bit AMD which I am running a standard windows XP. The 64 bit XP doesn't seem to have all the drivers I need to run the rest of my system with. You would think that Microsoft would let you run older drivers for older equipment, but no.:(

Anyway the system works fine with just 32 bits.

6. happyrck

happyrck

all my current builds get 64 bit AMDs and the Nforce4 chipsets...and the all get XP for now and I've not had any driver issues ...yet

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

Hi happyrck
    " I've not had any driver issues ...yet"

Yes but are you running XP or XP 64?

When I upgraded to standard XP from windows 98 my scanner software would not run. :mad: I now have a printer\scanner but its still bad when you cant run your old programs because the manufacturer hasn't made a driver for your new operating system. (n)

8. JohnWill

I suggest you forget about the AMD 64 X2 for those nForce4 builds, or you'll have a very unplesant experience when you try to use USB disks. :rolleyes:

9. happyrck

happyrck

all my builds get XP home...not the 64 bit version
    What kind of USB problems ??...the reason to use 939 pin motherboards and the Nforce4 chipset is to have the dual core upgrade path and with the single core AMD 939 pin there arn't any issues I know about or have experienced firsthand

10. JohnWill

Put a dual-core AMD into one of those, and copy any large dataset to a USB 2.0 connected disk, you'll see the light. Better yet, do a copy between two USB 2.0 disks, it'll lock up within seconds. And yes, I have experienced this firsthand with two different brands of nForce4 motherboards. :rolleyes: You might ask crjdriver too, he's also still licking his wounds after tangling with yet a different brand of nForce4 MB. If you do a search on the issue, you'll find lots of hits.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/453486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice