1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

64 vs 32 Bit cache

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tankollie, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tankollie

tankollie Thread Starter

Hey guys,

With some of the solid advice I got from this site, I decided to go ahead and buy an internal hard drive as part of a computer upgrade.

I plan on using the drive as my primary drive. I do a fair bit of financial modelling and some simulation stuff, and media. No gaming. Should I go with the 64 or 32 cache?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

generally speaking more onboard cache is better.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

All things being equal otherwise, I'd suggest the larger cache as well.

4. Compiler

Compiler

If the drive you choose has 32MB of cache... don't sweat it. Usually, the bigger the drive, the bigger the cache.

Buy a Seagate, Samsung or WD 500GB drive. Seagate will be the quietest drive. 500GB drives usually go for about $50~60. For your line of work... you really won't notice.

If you really want more performance, replace with a $200 SSD unit (80GB). Also your CPU will determine the performance.

5. tankollie

tankollie Thread Starter

what about the WD Green drive. I always see them on sale for $100. 1.5 TB 64 Cache. Will they also run quiet?

Also, do I need to purchase any additional cables?

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Green drives are great for storage, but will be a slow drive for an Operating System.

7. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Jay
  8. tankollie

tankollie Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the feedback.

From my understanding the WD Black series is more heavy duty........and wouldnt run as quiet as some other drives...

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Yes, the Green's do run quiet and use less power, I believe quieter then Seagate too from a review I saw earlier on but slower then the Seagate drives. They are not a performance drive. If you buy an OEM drive you will not get a SATA cable, if retail then you should. However if you have the parts that came with the motherboard then they usually provide several SATA cables, or you can just buy a SATA cable separately.

WD Blacks are high performance drives with higher reliability.

SSD are completely quiet - no moving parts.

10. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    My Blacks seem to be a little more noisy .. I suspect it's because my new ones are double Platters .. (twice the size of my old ones)
    and it might be a little tougher to balance them perfectly.

11. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    I have a couple of 1TB Greens in an External Enclosure for backup data storage ..
    Where they are not use much .. or for long periods of time.

They are great for this limited usage .. And where the enclosure does not provide adequate cooling for the faster or hotter HDDs.

I was once told ... (not that I believe everything I hear) .. That a 500gig is less reliable that a 320 Gig ..
    because the platter size is the same .. but more is packed on the Platter - Tighter.
    This might make a little sense .. and I might avoid anything larger that a 1TB with this in mind.

One cause for HDD failure is the Platter bearings get sloppy with age.
    The Black Series has double platter bearings .. and usually newer electronics .. They're built like Tanks :D

12. tankollie

tankollie Thread Starter

Thanks Noyb. I don't do much/any gaming on my PC, but I do like having my fair share of blu ray rips, as well as computational programs. Currently have a 250 GB 7200 RPM, but I would like this new drive to take on the role as a primary drive. I think I'll end up converting the second drive to a linux drive.
    So, I would like it to be Robust, efficient, quiet ect. Looking to spend around the $100 mark (give or take $20 or so(.

13. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay

Attached Files:

• Clip.gif
      Clip.gif
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
  14. tankollie

tankollie Thread Starter

Do you find your primary HDD loud? From my understanding it doesnt run quiet? Thoughts?

15. Noyb

First Name:
    Jay
    Just a Humm that's a little louder than my smaller HDDs .. (single platters)
    Loose parts in the case can amplify this hum .. "sounding board"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!