1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

640x480/16dpi - display problems!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nightwing00, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nightwing00

nightwing00 Thread Starter

Hi everyone!

I have a Dell Dimension 2400, Intel Pentium 4 2.40GHz, 256MB RAM, with a Sony Trinitron 200ES.

My computer got a major virus/malware program a few months ago, around May. In June, I did a hard disk wipe with the Ultimate Boot CD, and installed PClinuxOS, a linux distro that quite closely approximates the Windows XP look.

Although the computer now worked, the screen display did not work. When it was set at 1024x768 or 800x600, the screen wouldn't fit, meaning that the resolution was too big for the display. Only a 640x480 setting would fit on the display. However, the windows and text were big; when I open Konqueror or Firefox, for example, I have to scroll horizontally and vertically to see a page that would ordinarily only need the vertical scrollbar. And when I open windows for Display or other system settings, they're so big that they don't fit on the screen, which renders me incapable of changing any options. Even though I tried adjusting every setting that I could, nothing would work.

Up until I got the virus, the monitor and display on Windows XP were working fine at 1024x768.

So I found the reinstallation CD for Windows XP and tried reinstalling it. After an hour of two of waiting, my shiny new copy of Windows XP Home Edition finally loaded up. To my utter horror, however, it once again appeared in 640x480, even worse, in 16 dpi! When a balloon popped up asking if I would like Windows to automatically adjust the settings of the display, I agreed, but it stayed the same. When I went to Display Properties to try to change the screen resolution, it would not let me change it. The same happened for the dpi setting. It detects the driver as something like VgaSave.

I reinstalled XP again using the same CD just a few minutes ago, but the same thing occurs. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. silvershield

silvershield

We need more information....
    What kind of video card do you have?
    Are you using DVI or analog?
    Did you try installing your driver for monitor and graphics adapter?

3. Rich-M

Rich-M

Sounds like a drive issue or you may have to add a pci video card, such is the life depending on onboard video with no agp slot onboard.

4. Flags

Flags

nightwing: Find your Resource Disk. It has the drivers for all your devices on it.
    Check Device Manager to see which drivers you need, and install them from the disk.
    You can also get the drivers from Dell's site. Just enter your Service Code and Support will tell you which drivers you need.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  6. nightwing00

nightwing00 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the prompt replies. I checked out the system specs...I could only find out the video adapter. It's an Intel Extreme Graphics, with SVGA support.

Also, because I bought my CPU off a friend who lost his resource disk, I don't have it, unfortunately.

Now what I did was to go to Display Properties > Settings > Advanced > Adapter > List All Modes... On the menu were listed:
    1024 by 768 - 256 Colors - Default Refresh
    640 by 480 - 256 Colors - Default Refresh
    800 by 600 - 256 Colors - Default Refresh
    640 by 480 - High Color (16 bit) - Default Refresh
    640 by 480 - 16 colors - Default Refresh
    800 by 600 - 16 colors - Default Refresh

Woefully, 1024x768, 16 colors isn't there. Again, the Display Properties window still detects the display as (Default Monitor), and the screen resolution, now set at 1024x768, and the color quality, low 8-bit, cannot be changed. I'm going to try to see if updating the drivers will help any. Thanks.

-Edit-

Hi again. Wow, thanks so much for all the help. I just installed the drivers...and it works! Thanks so much!

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483302

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice