1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

640x480 and 16 colors

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by sumguitarist, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sumguitarist

sumguitarist Thread Starter

I recently had to install winows 98 on my comp again and now I cant get better resolution than 16 colors and 640x480 if there is a way to download something that would be a great help. Thanks! [email protected]

2. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

You have to install the drivers for your graphics.

If your using onboard graphics then the driver should be on your motherboard CD. If it's a seperate graphics card, then you will have got a CD with it. If you cant find the CD, you'll need to find the make and download the drivers from the website of either your motherboard manufacturer or the graphic card manufacturer.

Hope that helps

3. thomahan

thomahan

That's your 'video' drivers, not you 'monitor' drivers.

I only mention this because I got confused on that once. Kept loading the monitor driver and didn't change the display one bit. Then someone told me to try the video driver. TA DAAAA !!
    Not something I'll forget.

Good luck.

TM

4. brushmaster1

brushmaster1

[tsg=welcome] Welcome, Guitarist [/tsg]

5. Future

Future

If you do not have the drivers for your graphics card, then as long as you know what make of graphics card you have, you can go to www.driversguide.com to find a driver for it.

6. Cowboy622

Cowboy622

If you can't identify your video card, let us know and we may be able to tell you how to ID it.

7. solemheart

solemheart

I am having the same problem. How can I find out what video card I have in my machine?

8. Future

Future

There are some diagnostics software that you may be able to download from the internet, that could detect your graphics card. However, a lot of these type of diagnostics, actually rely on the drivers already being installed, but, some do actually scan the graphics chip to determine its identity.

The other way, is, if you feel confident in taking your computer apart, then you can look at the grahpics card, and on some of the chips, varies with each card, should be a name. From this name, it is possible to get the appropriate drivers for the chip.

Many chip manufactures make chips for different card manufactures, who in turn, add their own unique features to the card, but, the basic drivers for the chips, would suffice just to get the correct resolution and amount of colors. Of course, it would be much better if you could get the actual card drivers, which will have the chip drivers, and any extra features that may have been included in the card.

Note: ONLY TAKE YOUR COMPUTER APART IF YOU ARE SURE! YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING!

Hope this helps.

9. solemheart

solemheart

I got it apart but how do I know which card is the graphics card? I cant find a name on it. Where should I look?

I am assuming the card is the one the monitor is connected to, right? I cant find a brand name on there.

10. Dingenium

Dingenium

Most likely, your video card will be built into the motherboard of the computer (in other words, the place where you plug the monitor is lined up with most of the other plugs of your computer). If so, you should look around for a name on those black (hopefully they are black) chips.

If you could even find a name anywhere like "via technologies" or "s3 virge" or anything --- usually we can track down the video card manufactuer (or, at least, the motherboard manufactuer) and then get the right drivers for you.

Hope this helps...

11. solemheart

solemheart

there is a black chip on the mother board that says Intel flash and one that has SMSC.

any clue?

12. Dingenium

Dingenium

How about a number on anything? Numbers are good.

13. solemheart

solemheart

what about "intel PCI set"(I think)
    RW871e8 (small letters, I thinks this is it)

14. Dingenium

Dingenium

Alright, new approach. What brand and model of computer is it?

15. solemheart

solemheart

A crappy one. ha ha

Patriot Computer (Canada)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice