1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

64Bit Help Needed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joythompson, Feb 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joythompson

joythompson Thread Starter

Hiya Guys,

Got a problem with a new PC I'm putting together, I thought it was about time to make the change to an AMD64 seeings as you can get a pci express board now and my old 3000 was getting a bit choppy.

Trouble is its the first AMD64 I've put together and I'm probably doing somthing really stupid but I cant figure out why I'm not getting anythign on the monitor.

Everythings Plugged in and seated correctly, cables in the right sockets etc

The specs are

MSI K8n Diamond Mobo

AMD Athlon 64 3500 (Stock Cooling)

Maxtor Diamondmax Plus 9 160GB Serial ATA150

Antec Truepower 480W powersupply

Corsair TwinX 1024Mb 3200 LL PRO 2x512MB PC3200 Matched Pair DDR

Gainward GLH 1960 Geforce 6600 GT

Think that about covers it.

When I push the power button all the lights come on, the LED's flash and the fans spin but like i say nothing on the monitor.

I suspect its either the powersupply which is only a 20 pin version whereas the motherboard socket is 24 pin, currently running through a converter that came with the board, dont think this is very likely though as everything seems to be powered up and the GFX card cooling fan spins indicateing the juice is
    getting to it.

The other thing I suspect it is, is the GFX card has two Dvi connections and came with two dvi - vga converters one of which Im running the monitor on because it has no DVI connection, I suspect the monitor isnt compatible or somthings going on there... Dunno

The monitors an Advent (ADV-174f Rev A (it says on the back :) ))

Anyone had somthing similar happen with the dvi - vga converters or any general ideas what could be causeing this ?

2. Lurker1

Lurker1

Have you tryed the converter\monitor on the other DVI connection?

3. joythompson

Good thinking, gave it a go, still nothing. :(

Then I plugged two monitors in through the two connectors to see if anything happened, nothing on either of them, think I might have to coearse a *spits* LCD one of somone to give it a go.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I suggest you take the motherboard out of the case and setup it up on the motherbaord box. Then connect only the bare minimum. That is connect the CPU with heatsink, video card, one stick of RAM, and power supply. Also connect the monitor. Do not connect any drives at all, no PCI cards, no external devices(not even a keyboard). To turn it on use something like a screw driver to short the two power pins for a second.

This will rule out a short, an incompatible, faulty or improperly installed device, or a problem with the case switches and LEDS.

5. joythompson

Right,

I'll give that a go tomorow and post back.

6. slawless

slawless

you might try an old PCI video card if you have one. sometimes the BIOS are set for PCI. Obviously you cant change the bios if you cant see anything on the monitor. Had this problem with on old ABIT board.

good luck

steve L

7. joythompson

Hiya,

Had a quick go at it this morning, left the mobo in the case but disconnected everything non essential from it. Shorted the power switch pins and it burst into life.

Brilliant, would have never thought of doing that by myself :)

Next question is, whats the problem with the switch ? / Is the problem the switch? Wrong sort for the motherboard, or is it faulty or somthing else entirely ?

I'll try another one when I get back from work, better run late as it is :p

Thanks for the help though, Im chuffed to bits, thought it was dead :)

8. Lurker1

Lurker1

The switch should be fine as your fans were starting. Chances are that something else was causing the problem. Add back one item at a time and test the power up each time. BOL

9. obvious

obvious

good thinking, but slawless, how'd you sort out that prob with an old abit board?

anyway, advent generally suck. although the gpu might be knackered. try it in another pc if poss.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325690

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice