Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

6600GT error/motherboard BIOS update

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Ubik2000 
#1 ·
I recently bought a Geforce 6600 GT. It’s nice when it works, but occasionally, I get an error that prevents it from functioning. The error seems to occur on an intermittent basis – sometimes when I boot up, it will be present, and sometimes it won’t be. The only indication of the error is when the “Windows is Starting up/Loading your personal settings” boxes pop-up – when the error is occurring, those boxes are distorted. And then if any kind of program with 3d acceleration tries to run, the whole system locks up. And then I reboot, and hope for the best.

It doesn’t always occur, but it’s a pain when it does – I’m developing a reboot phobia. Tech support for the card said to update my motherboard drivers, tech support for the motherboard says to update my BIOS and the BIOS people want to charge me $60 USD for a floppy disc.

I’m guessing the BIOS is indeed the problem (Award BIOS, apparently from 2001…yikes). But $60 seems a bit steep in our modern age of miracles. Are there sites out there with free BIOS updates, or is this just the nature of the BIOS beast?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.