1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

6835 HP Boot Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by foxtrotsam2, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foxtrotsam2

foxtrotsam2 Thread Starter

Hello All, :(

I'm working on this HP 6835. It was swamped with spyware and a whole lot of other junk files. Rather than dickering around with trying to clean them out with the anti programs I wiped out the HDD (because it barely booted up to begin with), thinking I would do a clean install. (Win 98 ME). Now when I boot to install the OS, it freezes up after about 3 minutes, it wont communicate with the keyboard then I'm stuck. I removed the battery overnight, I tried shorting the jumper6 to clear the cmos, but nothing is helping. I thought it might be that it needs the original startup disks to install, but I kind of doubt it, it should install the Win 98 ME, I would think. The clock/timing is way off (1999) so I thought it might be one of those Y2K machines which I dont know anything about. What's really puzzling is how it quits communicating after afew minutes, like freezing up. I tried booting off the cd, tried using a startup disk, no show.

Its not my machine so I dont really know the history,only that it may have went to some "BAD" sites to collect such junk files.

Any advise I would greatly appreciate. Thanx All

2. 4steve44

4steve44

Who makes the hard drive?

3. foxtrotsam2

foxtrotsam2 Thread Starter

the hard drive is a Seagate 30 gigs,

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/366261

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice