1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

7,000 Malicious connection blocked within the last 7 days

Discussion in 'General Security' started by CaneHill, Feb 22, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CaneHill

CaneHill Thread Starter

My McAfee says I've had about 7,000 malicious connections block within the last 7 days. No viruses detection but I have tons of reports saying IP addresses are trying to access a bunch of different ports should I be concerned or should I not worry because McAfee is handing it or is it possible that these connections will bypass the software?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

If the connection attempts come from many different IP addresses that are not in your own LAN's sub-net, it is most likely random hackers probing large blocks of public IP addresses for open ports on vulnerable computers or other Internet connected devices. In many cases the connection attempts may be coming from hacked or zombie computers that either try to propagate their malware to other found computers or report back to the hacker that took control of them. About 42 attempted accesses per hour is not really that much these days..

Routers that use Network Address Translation (NAT) to allow multiple devices on a private LAN to share a single public IP address on the Internet will typically block such probes from reaching the devices on the LAN, unless port forwarding has been set up or a given device put in the router's DMZ. Is your Internet connection through a router that uses NAT?

kay5ive likes this.
  3. lunarlander

lunarlander

You need to worry about it only if those ports that they are trying to access really does have a program running behind it. So if they are trying to access a MS SQL port, and you really do have a MS SQL Server, then I would look into further hardening it.

4. CaneHill

CaneHill Thread Starter

I think it uses NAT because I have a NAT type on Xbox Live but im not sure if thats related

5. CaneHill

CaneHill Thread Starter

its usually trying to access 1900 and it says its used for SSDP. but one security report said "source IP address has apparently attempted to scan your system by sending large amount of various TCP/IP packets" but that was only once I don't usually see that one. Also port 54882. I also have a lot trying to "Ping my PC". If this is a concer the how would i go about resolving this problem?

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

That's an unusually high number if you are behind a NAT router. Are you sure your have a router? And that it is not a cable modem with only 1 jack?

7. CaneHill

CaneHill Thread Starter

I'm not really sure what I have, I know I need to have a wireless access point hooked up to it in order to connect wireless. I have AT&T U verse, idk if that helps.

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

How many ethernet jacks does the device have?

9. CaneHill

CaneHill Thread Starter

It has 4

10. CaneHill

CaneHill Thread Starter

I also should mention that I have a VPN installed idk if that would interfere with McAfee or not

11. lunarlander

lunarlander

Usually, that is a NAT router. Just to confirm, do you know if it is a DSL line?

I would say 7000 is a unusually high number. Because the NAT router normally filters out a lot of attacks. Did you configure the router to put your PC into DMZ (for gaming purposes? )

12. CaneHill

CaneHill Thread Starter

I think DSL the data cable is plugged into the DSL port in the back and no I didnt configure my PC but I only play games on Xbox.

13. lunarlander

lunarlander

OK I am going to bed now. Couldn't think of anything just yet. Let's resume tomorrow.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!