1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

7 installed IDE devices, only 5 show up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by vynsane, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

Hi, all... I have a Promise Ultra133 TX2 IDE controller card which affords me two additional ATA133 channels, each with two hard drives attached. I also have a single HDD attached to the on-board IDE channel, and a DVD drive and DVD burner attached to the secondary on-board IDE channel.

The thing is, when I click on 'My Computer' it only shows 5 devices - my primary on-board IDE HDD, my DVD drive (not the burner) and three of the four HDD's connected through the controller card. They don't show up in Disk Management either. The drives are lettered consecutively (IDE primary channel HDD, C:, DVD secondary channel, D:, then E:, F: and G: for the (three visible of four) HDD's attached via the controller).

Why can't I see these two drives? Is there a limit on how many physical drives you can install on XP?

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Are you sure you have all the jumpers on the drives set correctly?

It is only limited to the number of drive letters available A~Z

When the motherboard bios posts, the promise cards should also do their own bios post after the mobo, do the drives all show up there?

3. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

I'll check the jumpers, I believe I have all four drives set to CS on the controller card, and the DVD drive is master and the burner is slave on the secondary on-board. There's another installation of XP on one of the drives connected to the controller, and when they're set to master/slave instead of CS it freaks my system out.

4. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

5. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

Didn't have the time to check last night. In the system BIOS it looks like the DVD burner isn't displayed, and in the controller card BIOS, only three show up, consistent with what's appearing in 'My Computer'.

6. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

I wonder if you have a power issue, the hard drive is not spinning up fast enough (in time) for the controller card to detect it.

I ran a pair of these promise cards years ago and do remember having issues when using all of the channels, boot issues when the boot drive was on one of them, I think I moved drives around to different channels, is the firmware version the same on both promise cards?

Not sure what is up with the DVD,

7. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

It's only a single controller card with two channels.

Might the power issue be with the power supply? I believe it's a 400w, but I'll have to double-check, it's rather old. Could it simply not be powerful enough to run all the devices?

8. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Might be a bad IDE cable also.

9. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

Hrm... good thought, I'll swap them out and see. Could also be the order on the cables.

10. vynsane

vynsane Thread Starter

Upon further inspection, the IDE cables were just poorly seated into the missing drives. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the assistance, Mumbodog!

11. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

Glad you got it sorted out.

You are welcome

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!