1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

7% of hard drive space lost on ALL hard drives...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cxm322, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cxm322

cxm322 Thread Starter

I have a system and 3 internal hard drives.

The drvies are 120GB, 160GB, and 180GB but my system only recognizes 111GB, 149GB, and 167GB respectively. Tha tis about a 7% loss of space for each drive. 33 gigs lost in total. That's a lot of space.

None of the drives are partitioned and it's not and HP or other like system. It's a custom built PC. I only have an OS (WINXP) installed on my C drive (the 160 GB drive).

No matter how I connect these drives (on-borad IDE or IDE controller card) my system will not recognize the full space of any hard drive I install on my system.

The 120 is slave to the 160 and the 180 is on an ATA controller card (Promise Technologies) all by itself. All are Western Digital. The 180 is a special edition (and I recommend you stay away from WD special edition HDs. I have had to swap it for a refurb 3 times in 1.5 years. This is the first time I have installed it on a newer computer, though, so I hope it does not break like it did on my old, ancient system 3 times. My old system was and AMD 850 Duron with 128M RAM..but I digress).

So is there a way to get back this 33 gigs of missing HD space or is this just the way it is with WINXP?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, my MB is an ASUS P4P800SE with a Cerleron D 2.4MHz in case any of that matters.

2. Advancer

Advancer

what kinda of file systems u using? NTFS or FAT32? what i know is FAT32 cannot support too large disk space. try out partition magic or use WinXP disk management to verify ur HDD.

3. PC TECH250

PC TECH250 Banned

For one, Western Digital drives have never had a "bad hair day" at this end. Something
    you may have could very well turn out to be the reason. A 1.4gb special edition drive is
    still in use after several years have replaced a "cheapie" Seagate 1.2gb that crapped!
    The reason that you do not see the full amount according to the way drives are sold is
    that manufacturers quote what the "bare bones" capacity of a drive is before anything
    at all is done with them. GEE? That 250gb here showed 238gb+ after XP and formating.
    The second WD 120gb showed 114gb after 98 went on with the help of DRFAT32 to a
    full primary partition use of the drive's available capacity. Both are WD Cavier Spec ed.
    drives as well as other that never have had any issues to date in many, many moons.

Many years ago an electronics expert advised: "Go with Western Digital! That Maxtor
    craps flies apart!". DARN! That has been proved true ever since! You goofed up one or
    another thing to have to have any refurbished more than once. The 120gb WD drive at
    this end is still in use since the model came without issues. Once a drive is partitioned,
    the available space seen is determined by the software used to partition and format it.
    That will vary between XP and partitioning software. It mainly has to do with how any
    drive is read and processed by the software utility in XP or other.

4. cxm322

cxm322 Thread Starter

All 3 are NTFS. All are marked as healthy. However, the 160 is labeled as system (adn that is correct) adn the 120 is labeled as active but the 180 tha ti son the controller card is not labeled as active. What is the difference? What will happen if I mark it as active like the 120.

All the drives are showing the roughly 7% loss in space within disk mgmt as well.

5. PC TECH250

PC TECH250 Banned

You didn't read the reply. The method of parttioning used reads one way or another
    differently by XP as compared to other partitioning softwares. There is nothing wrong
    with the drives. Right click on the MyComputer icon and go the "manage" link there. It
    will open up a window where you go down to the "drive manager" to adjust settings, a
    format of a drive, an other things. Perhaps you may need to put one drive in a 5 1/4"
    adapter under the cd drive for it to be readily available.

6. cxm322

cxm322 Thread Starter

Just so you know, it could have been that the first 2 time my WD 180G failed was because my system at the time was too old for a drive that large. However, after I replaced it the second time, I never did open or install the 3 rd refurb I got. I knew I'd be buying a new system in the near future so I kept it in my closet til then.

Then, the very day I got my new system, I installed the 180G on the new system and guess what...you guesses it...click, click, clickity click click. Bad drive. Right out of the box and right out of the sealed anti static bag.

I did nothing to ruin these drives, they just went bad.

I sent it back, got a new refurb and just installed it today. I will not be using it for anything important until I test it out. I noticed that all other times, too, that it did not fail until it was over half full. I will be filling it up with random files to see if it goes kerplunk on my again. If so, I will replace it for another refurb once again and sell it. To hell with it. I don't feel comfortable with using it until I feel it might actually be a good drive this time.

But I do not mean to bash WD. Not at all. This is the only WD HD I have had any problems with whatsoever. And it happens to be a special edition.

BTW, I had one Quantum HD before and I loved it. No problems at all.
    Never had anything but WD and Quantum.

7. cxm322

cxm322 Thread Starter

I read all replies thus far and responded to all. I did not understand the first reply fully perhaps, but I read it.

I did not understand if he meant to use both programs or either one. Was not clear.

Also, I never know on this forum if ur = your or if it stands for something in the tech world I am not aware of.

I will check to see what partition magic tells me as soon as I download it, go to sleep, and get up again.

8. -=ZeroHour=-

-=ZeroHour=-

FYI.. the manufacturer's size label isn't completely accurate.. it's a rounded number. Actual disk space is a calculated number and different manufactures calculate this number differently and even differently for different sized disks. Anyway, the true size is what you see in Disk Manager. A 120GB drive is really 111.79GB. It's normal. You can talk to WD to find out how they calculate their numbers.

9. PC TECH250

PC TECH250 Banned

What Advancer was referring to was the use of a partitioning software or booting with
    the XP installation cd to read the parttion info on the drives. But, that certainly isn't a
    necessity at this point. XP itself can clearly indicate the size of an existing partition on
    a drive despite the MS OS version installed. The 64bit is a different animal without any
    first hand knowledge on that OS yet. But, that will coming along sooner or later. In the
    comment about goofing something up, you had a rare defective drive that really isn't a
    drive worth spending the time with. All generally manufactured products have goobers!
    Take a look at the article found on this site: http://www.badcaps.com that can give
    you some chills when deciding on which brand board to go with when considering a new
    system, or just having built a new one. Will a bad cap spoil the day? (ur means your)

Meanwhile, every WD drive that has been used at this end on different system has a
    Caviar SE without seeing any erradic behavior despite how apps have been run, A large
    number of Windows reinstallations with older versions where drivers or some spyware is
    resonsible for goofing up that OS. XP was reinstalled after a I-WORM:BAGLE A was let
    loose intentionally on one system isolated from the network to see how it effected files
    and hid itself. That was prior to product activation. Surprisingly, AVG7.0 nailed most of
    the infected files, some were deleted, and system files were simply overwritten to get
    XP running normal again. The partition also holds information in hidden as well as visible
    files so that they are not wiped out unintentionally. The OS then uses those for setup.

10. PC TECH250

PC TECH250 Banned

A 120gb WD is really 111gb? POOBY HASH! The WD 120gb here reads at 114gb! after
    a fresh repartitioning and format of the drive. You also have to calculate what mbs are
    in comparison to "BYTES". Have you ever noticed that a megabyte is less than a drawn
    out number of how many bytes it represents. Calculate that one!

11. -=ZeroHour=-

-=ZeroHour=-

PCTech.. don't take this the wrong way but... you really ought to do some research.. It's good to share your experiences, sure. But by just going with what you've experienced doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. (i'm referring to your posts to more than just this thread)

Also, it depends where you look.. Disk Manager can and usually does report a different number than say windows explorer or partition magic, etc.

My main point is that 120GB does not mean you'll see 120GB in Windows. And I think PCTech just confirmed that as well. ;)

12. PC TECH250

PC TECH250 Banned

Obviously, the variances between two identical drives in mass production allows for a
    "tolerance". Remember, the disks inside a hard drive are metal machined and precision
    ground round plates on a precision ground spindle. In manufacturing across the board,
    a "universal" standard has to be applied to one product when various brands make the
    exact same item. There is another factor that seems to be missed here. DRFAT32 was
    the means the 120gb drive was partitioned and formatted for... WIN98SE. XP has never
    seen the light of day on the 120gb! DRFAT32 is Western Digital's own W98 drive utility.
    WD must also have one for each of the later OSs except 2K and XP 32bit version that
    would most likely use the same tool. XP also has it's own utility as part of the OS. Each
    reads totals differently to some degree due to their software design. The method that
    each partitions and formats is also slightly different in this regard.

13. Jeckler

Jeckler

14. -=ZeroHour=-

-=ZeroHour=-

i'm glad someone did the math cuz i wasn't about to.. :D

15. cristobal03

cristobal03

Maybe this is pointless and retarded on my part, because I haven't read the thread really. There's an expected loss of space (around 5-6%) when you initialize a drive. From what I understand it's mostly meta area and swap. In other words, it's used for disk/partition physical management.

Anyway.

chris.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/417511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice