1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

70 GB: but only 1 GB of Free space!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by rtrudell, Mar 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rtrudell

rtrudell Thread Starter

I have no idea what's going on, but my computer, a Dell Inspiron, has only 1 GB of Local Disk (C:) left on it. Now, for the past 8 months, i've been editing & burning DVD's and films using editing software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5, etc, and i've never had a problem. I've always had at least 50 GBs (or so i believe) of free space at any given moment when messing around with that stuff. When editing today, I was alerted that my local disk C was running low, and once i agreed to do a 'clean-up' of some sort to remove temporary internet files & offlines files, etc, i got a problem. Suddenly, my system was unstable and I had 3 MB of free space.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. There are no viruses that i'm aware of, and i've deleted all of my video-editing projects & DVD files. Still, i have only 1 GB of free space.

I would be grateful for anyone that takes the time to consider my problem for a moment.

Also, when i was doing the Local Disk clean up, and the problem occured, i got this...

"Windows File Protection

Files that are required for windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, windows must restore the original versions of these files.

Insert you now.

Retry / more information / cancel"

I wasn't able to get my CD-ROM at the moment, but would this have something to do with the problem?

Thanks

2. DanFlounders

DanFlounders

Wouldn't have thought so.
    Are you sure you have emptied the recycle bin after deleting all those files?
    1. Get the properties of your Program Files folder and find what size it is, this may give you an idea of where the space is being drained from.

2. Check system restore by right clicking on my computer, select properties and select the system restore tab. If you have a big drive, system restore may be using a large amount. Reduce that limit if it is, around 1-2% should suffice. System restore reserves so much for it's restore points.

3. Check for old check disk files, use disk cleanup for this. Other than that, there isn't alot else that Isn't obvious.

Danny Flounders

3. D0C_Hol1d@y

[email protected]

The recycle bin is only so big it would have emptied its self by now. I would check the machine for a virus that writes files.

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you looked at things like:

My Documents, especially if you have been burning DVD's etc. Not all programs erase what was burned afterwards.

5. DanFlounders

DanFlounders

The recycle bin takes up 10% of the drive it's on by default, if you has a 120GB Hard Disc he could have up to 12GB in the recycle bin. The recycle bin doesn't automatically empty itself.

If a file/files sent at any one time to the recycle bin are larger than the 10% allocated, then system removes the files without placing them into the recycle bin first. However, you do get a warning before final deletion.

As stated before, check the sizes of various folders, this will give you an idea of where the space is being taken up.
    What is the size of your drive by the way, if it's in to the 80-100GB bracket, it's highly unlikely that you will have a virus that duplicates suge huge files without noticing it when you are using the machine, i.e. massive Hard Disc activity. But yes, a virus could be the culprit.

As Bob Cerelli said, make sure when you are working with dvd images etc, that the image or file is being deleted after the burning process.

Chances are you have overlooked somethin, or it could be a combination of many things, e.g.
    System Restore reserving 4-5GB
    Recycle Bin storing 10% of your drive
    DVD images lying around
    Large program file folder due to lots and lots of rarely used programs
    Temporary Internet files ma be taking up 4-5GB, again depending on the size of your drive and obviously configuration of deletion intervals.
    Try ccleaner, I've had that remove 1.5GB of crap off some systems in the past.
    As you can see, it all adds up.. feel free to add to this list!

Regards

Danny Flounders

6. happyrck

happyrck

do a search for .PRTL files ...also do a search for .VOB files and any other file extensions that have to do with DVDs

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Download SpaceMonger and turn it loose. It'll tell you where the space is being used, you can quickly track down the files that are consuming all the space. Here's a typical display, click on it to get a full-sized readable version. As you can see, most of this volume is taken up with my virtual machine images. :)

Attached Files:

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I like the visual representation of the large folders, you click on them and you can zoom in to the level of detail you like. Different strokes for different folks...

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Guess if the goal is to see what is taking up the most space, I just like to see them first. The boxes spread all over seemed much more confusing trying to see what was what. Of course with treesize you can go to whatever detail you like for whatever directories. But at least you see the larger ones right up front.

And there's a neat little add-in for the Explorer from PC World. "Folder Size Shell Extension is a free shell extension that adds a new tab to the Properties dialog that displays a folder's and drive's size. This page allows you to see the folders and sub folders sizes (in a hierarchical tree). ". Again so you can see what is taking up the most space right away.
    http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/file_management/dfolder.zip

11. rtrudell

rtrudell Thread Starter

Thanks a lot everyone. Using everyone's advice, i got my GB back up to 47. Thanks again. Sorry for such an amateur question.

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Good going. And that question gets asked a lot. Just for information, where did you find a lot of space being used that you didn't need.

13. anthonyb

anthonyb

JohnWill ---

Hello -- I was reading through this thread and wanted to try the D/L you suggested --- SPACEMONGER.

However, when I clicked on your link and read the D/L page, it says: WINDOWS 98 / NT/ ME / 2000. It doesn't list WINDOWS XP.

Does it work with Win XP Home Edition?

Thanks --

14. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Looks like the date on that is pretty old - October 2000 !!! But if it worked with Windows2000 it might with XP.

15. anthonyb

anthonyb

Bob --

Thnak you. Is the one you suggested (TREESIZE) a free download?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!