700 meg cdr show 650...Me?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MollyB

Just tried some 700 meg cdroms (2 diff brands) and they all show only 650 megs available.
This is on 2 computers, with various dvd and cd drives, and 2 diff cd writers.
The only common factor I can see is the OS; WinMe, so am posting in here.
One of the writers is only 24 hours old, so am assuming there is not a basic capability issue.
I have examined the discs in every way I can think of, and tho EasyCd Creator v4+ shows 700 in the CD menu, the bottom bar etc only allow 650 megs to be written.
My tech knowledge is pretty minimal, please bear that in mind with your advice? thx people.

Hji Molly – welcome to the board.

Did the 24 hour old machine come with EZCD4? I would presume it is an older model in that case.

EZCD4 will overburn on a burner that is capable. Make sure you have the latest software updates from Roxio and the latest firmware from the CD writer manufacturer. You want version 4.05 for EZCD: http://www.roxio.com/en/support/ecdc/ecdcupdates.jhtml

I haven’t used EZCD for several years, but it will evidently overburn to 700 Mb with the latest update but doesn't show more than 650 available. This assumes you have a CD writer that will overburn.

What CD writer are you using?

MollyB

my writers are HP 7500 (old) and a Freecom, which shows as a Teac CD-W54E.
EasyCD is version 4.05.409.
I'll try the firmware suggestion, but you think a different program to EZ would be a good choice also? thx again.
oh btw, both the writers are external models if it makes any diff.

I don’t think that model HP will write over 650Mb with any software. Don’t know about the Teac. You won’t know until you update the firmware and actually try to record a 700 Mb CD. Keep in mind that the software will only show a 650 Mb CD, but might overwrite to 700.

I’m not a fan of EZCD but it is easy to use and does what many people need.

Try downloading the Sony CD Extreme software here: http://ozaustralia.cjb.net/ If the 1.3.390 version works with your recorders do not apply the updates. They have a lot of Sony drivers you don’t need and will just cause a higher resource overhead while burning. I think it much better than EZCD and it will show the available size of the CD.

On Oz’s page select Sony in the left column. Get the manual also.

The only thing the Sony software doesn’t do that you might be interested in is to equalize (normalize) the volumes if you record from MP3 files. Feurio has a demo that is completely unrestricted in functions and how long you can use it. Great audio software that will do it all: http://www.feurio.net/English/index.shtml

Being external doesn’t make any difference other than that the speeds are glacial compared to modern internals. Why did you get an external unit?

I have a Teac CD burner and it overburns easily. It is over a year old. I use Easy CD Creator 5 (Platinum), I find this to be the easiest and most adaptable to use. Easy CD Creator 5 allows you to select the audio range for MP3 files to recapture some of that section of highes audio that is removed when bumped onto MP3 format.

Ps. This is not an advert !. Best to choose what you are happy with.

MollyB

thanks people, off to work now, but happy to have something to work with when i get home rather than remaining clueless.
slipe; i got externals because i am old and have spent way too much money on computers, and like to think i have at least something that i can just take with me at the next upgrade.
nooooo, don't disillusion me.....
thanks again.

MollyB

tried the sony cd extreme program...great stuff on the Teac, will try the old HP tomorrow.
thx for the help and advice folks, much appreciated.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online