700mb or 80 minutes selectable?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n0nickrick

I have some audio files I made on my computer of the family history and I'd like to put them on Cd's for posterity. Although they are several hours of stories and memories they take up less than 600mb of space. Must I use multiple discs to save this on or is there a way to put it all on one disc? I'd like to send them to family members as gift and it would be easier & less expensive to send one disc than a dozen. Thank you so much for any insight.

Rick

If you make regular Audio CD's (ones that will play in regular CD players) then you're limited to 80 Min. of running time on a CD, regardless of file size.

You could create Mp3 CD's, but not everyone has a CD player that will also play Mp3 CD's, although they could play them on a computer.

It depends on how many you can fit on the drive. You can add as many as will fit.

"700mb or 80 minutes" are 2 ways of saying the same thing. They are both measures of the CD's capacity. One tells you in megabytes of data. The other tells you in the amount of time it would take the CD to play if it were an audio CD and were playing in a CD player, and were filled with music. The "80 minutes" is not meant literally.

n0nickrick

Thank you both for the fast and informative reply, I do appreciate it. It lets me know what options I have and how to proceed. Again all my thanks.

Rick

You can mark your own threads "solved" using the button above.

(What stantley pointed out may bear repeating and elaboration. If you store sounds on the CD in an uncompressed format, such as wav or cda, it will hold 80 minutes of audio and will play on standard CD players. If you used a compressed format, like mp3, wma (smaller and as good quality as mp3), mp2, ra, ogg, or any other, you can get a much larger amount of sound on that same CD. Many hours more. But many players will not play those files without a decompressor. You would have to play them on a computer. You may already be aware of this, but I thought I should mention it before you go too far into your project. :D)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online