1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

7600GS too hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onine, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onine

onine Thread Starter

I was an idiot and settled for the PNY 7600GS instead of one of the 7950 AGP models. It was running too hot, so I bought a VF900-Cu to cool it down. It just came today and it took some rigging but I hooked it up. I started up RivaTuner hardware monitoring and set the fan to Normal Mode (2400rpm) and I IDLE AT 76 degrees! I started Performance Test and ran 3d benchmark and stopped it once it exceeded 100+ in a few seconds.

I am very concerned, and I am at my witts end. Yes, I used new thermal grease, it is the stuff that came with the zalman fan. I don't know what to do anymore.

2. mj46

mj46

The only thing I can think that could be causing the problem would be that the heatsink is not securely fastened, creating an air pocket. I had a 6800GS here recently that would reach temps of 110C and it was a combination of low quality thermal grease and dust. I know dust might not be the problem, but maybe the thermal grease is low quality. Artic Silver or any silver based thermal grease always did wonders for my system. Just some suggestions, hope they pan out for you.

3. onine

onine Thread Starter

ok, i think i have some of the termal grease left over somewhere from when I bought a new CPU fan a few months back. I will try that and get back to you after I grab some Micciedees. :D

4. onine

onine Thread Starter

lol you mentioned about making sure it is fastened down and I took it off then put it back on for the heck of it. My idle is 50 and my peak is 68 on Performance Test (which is an awesome benchmarking program btw).

YAY!!! :D looks like this problem is off to the google cache :D

and ya, for those searching, the vf900-cu does take a bit of tinkering skill to fasten down. BOO!!! bad pny bad nvidia

5. gomes

gomes

My GPU used to overheat like crazy, and I played a lot of videogames. If the heatsink is properly installed, make sure you have decent air circulation within the computer case itself. You should have air vents on the side if your computer too. Clean out every fan, make sure all fans are running correctly. No dirt should be inside the case, especially on any hardware. If you want, download a program called SpeedFan (http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php) to monitor and increase your fan speeds too.

6. gomes

gomes

Haha, nevermind you already got it :)

7. onine

onine Thread Starter

That is another thing though. When I bought this new Trio 430w power supply from antec it had so many more cords than my last one that it pretty much cuts off the spectacular air flow coming out of the CPU area, which I have 3 fans around. So this zalman was definitely necessary and I am so glad I got it working. YAY FOR KOREAN TECHNOLOGY! :D

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/668241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice