1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

7600gs/vf900cu OC temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onine, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. onine

onine Thread Starter

Since I have my VF900 working good on my PNY 7600GS, I went and overclocked it up to 475/350 and noticed an IMMENSE increase in fps. When I benchmark with Performance Test the peak temp is 79C and when I benchmark with 3dmark05 the peak temp is 83C. (my score was 3363 if youre wondering)

I am reading conflicting things about decent GPU temps. Some say "anything over 70C is bad", while others say that 70C is average, and "a peak of 80C on WoW is normal".

Is this acceptable? Please, no opinions!

2. onine

onine Thread Starter

bump.. all im wondering is if it will ever get higher than this? from what i understand 3dmark05 is the most intensive thing to benchmark with other than 06 and nothing should get as hot as that right?

I returned the clocks back to normal and I am still getting the same temps running PT minus 2 or 3 Celsius. I am starting to wonder why such high temps for a card under $200? When I first got this card, it was getting so hot playing both Oblivion & Morrowind that it would auto-shutdown after 1 or 2 hours of play. I wasn't monitoring my temps then. I am going to try moving some cords around and see if I can get some better airflow. Maybe I will clean it up a bit too, I don't know... I should vacuum anyway probably. lol

I was also reading some posts and might consider adding a vent in front above my usb card and maybe one up top if I can.

3. onine

onine Thread Starter

Another bump, and an update.

I took off my USB card that gave me 2 extra USB ports and a flash up front because I don't use any of them. I took off the cover that opened and closed that card, and put up some of this fabric screening stuff i bought at a hardware store. I also took out 2 PCI slot covers and put the screening across that too, and taped it all down with packaging tape. It brought my GPU load temp down to 50C and my idle GPU temp to 53C-54C. Quite considerable, but it's too bad my case is a piece of crap because id like to put a vent along the top of the case. Oh well. I suppose a few degrees are better than no degrees.

(The reason I did this, if you are wondering, is because the Zalman fans are all notorious for blowing the hot air out into the case. By adding vents that are horizontal to the VF900Cu, on each side, the hot air empties out instead of heating up the rest of the case. Unfortunately it did not seem to cool the "case" down any as previously mentioned.)

Unfortunately, my "case" sensor is still the same... and my CPU is still chillin. I went ahead and did a better job of wrapping up some of the PS cords. I used the tie thingies that came with the PS (ty antec, you rule) and pushed them more off to the side. Too bad it didn't drop the case temp any... I also took the few cords from the PS that I don't use, such as the PCI-E cord and SATA cords, and tucked them behind my DVDRW drive.

For reference, one more thing I could do if I wanted to is take out the CDR drive I don't use and add another vent there instead by taping the screen between the HD bay and the DVDRW drive. But this would likely only help my CPU which would not benefit from any more cooling. However, since heat rises, it still might be a good idea, but I would have to move the cords again.

4. onine

onine Thread Starter

ok... im beginning to feel a little insulted here? Does anyone at all want to spare some of their oh-so-precious time?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/668332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice