1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

7800 GS won't display past the Bios

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jones, Feb 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Hey all,

Just got my hands on a BFG 7800 GS agp card. Attempting to install into my machine, I am able to see the bios screens, as well as the 'windows boot selection' screen, but as soon as the WinXp load screen is supposed to display, my LCD monitor displays 'no signal'. Doesn't matter if I select 'Safe Mode' either, same problem.

When I put my old 6800XT card back in, it works no problem. Any ideas? :confused: :confused:

2. bigbear

bigbear

Is the graphics card "powered", is it plugged in?

3. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Yep, power connected. 34amps on the 12v rail, 500watt PSU. Also I uninstalled the old drivers and used the device manager to remove the old card prior to installing the new one.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you tried the 7800 in another pc to make sure it works? You sat you acquired it? Was that new?

5. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Don't have access to another PC with an AGP slot. And yes, it is brand new.

6. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

Put the 6800 back in, use it to install the drivers for the 7800, and then put the 7800 in and see what happens.

7. martingreg3

martingreg3

You have got the incorerrect driver for your new card.

AGP/PCI Video drivers have to be loaded prior to the OS otherwise you cannot see what is going on.

All Video cards are generally CGA compatable so the BIOS works.
    You must have some VGA compatability so XP should load a driver but because of some curious configurations of the AGP bus, like quasi hyperlink on AMD chipsets and PCI express on Intel your XP installation disks may not see the AGP bus or the new graphics card.
    Your motherboard should have a standard VGA/SVGA graphics/video interface. If you use this, it will install as the default and then you can load your new driver for the new AGP card as if you were using two screens, to test you do. Once that is running then disable the motherboard video using System/Devices from Control panel.

if not give me an e-mail on aol.com, some cards can be tricky because they are designed for games and only really just about compatble with Windows or the expanded IBM spec.

8. Jones

Jones Thread Starter

Tried that, didn't work. Called BFG Tech support, and they're stumped. Sending the card back for a replacement. Hopefully the situation doesn't repeat itself. Thanks for the help though.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/544329

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice