1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

7970 Artifacting

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by M_Nation, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. M_Nation

M_Nation Thread Starter

The card artifacts occasionally at stock clocks. I have already tried nearly everything:

full removal and fresh install of drivers, many different versions of the drivers
    setting the fan speed higher manually
    tested RAM multiple passes with Memtest
    Checked CPU stability with prime95
    monitored temps to be sure they're within proper limits
    swapped another card (GTX 460) into PC to validate other components (no artifacting with GTX 460 or intel HD 3000)
    Swapped this card into another computer to be sure it was in fact this card (artifacts in other PC)

I owned a 7970 that worked flawlessly, which died during moving houses, Asus replaced it with another 7970, however that one artifacted and had a very low Asic quality (in the 50's) and continued to replace it with low Asic cards that continued to artifact, whereas the first card had an average Asic (70's). I then sold the Asus card after all the trouble they gave me and bought a MSI 7970, again this one with a low Asic, and high default voltage that artifacts. I can only conclude that the low Asic quality is the result of the occasional artifacts, although this card artifacts much less than the Asus branded ones, it is still unacceptable for such a pricey card. I have read all over that Asic quality "doesn't matter" but I'm inclined to believe otherwise. Am I crazy or what should I do? Thank you in advance

PC Specs:
    Intel I7 2600k
    Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler
    ASRock Z68 PROFESSIONAL GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68
    Gskills Ripjaws 1600mhz 4x 2gb DDR3
    MSI R7970-2PMD3GD5/OC
    Rosewill Lightning 1000w PSU
    Western Digital Black 1TB HDD
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium x64

2. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    Artifacts are typically a sign of overheating or hardware failure. It can also be caused by poor power.

And I noticed that although you have a 1000w power supply, it's a Rosewill model. Rosewill hardware mediocre at best.

3. M_Nation

M_Nation Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. Well, like I said I have moved since my old 7970 worked well. Could it be dirty power coming from the wall? The first Asus card I had worked great as mentioned, the next one artifacted, the one after that came voltage locked, and since overclocking was a deciding factor in my purchase of a 7970 that was not ok, finally I sold that and bought this card, which also artifacts, not only in this PC, but also in my other PC.

4. Oddba11

Oddba11 It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Jim
    Dirty AC power would likely affect more than just the video card as ALL of the power would be questionable. You can solve dirty AC by using a quality UPS.

With that said, I'm kinda at a loss, or your information is inaccurate.

Multiple cards not working in a single PC would indicate a fault with that PC. Likely the power supply.

A card not working in multiple PC's, would indicate a faulty card.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!