1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

800x600 still the only way to go? Worldwide stats?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by Greiffel, Aug 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

A few years back 800x600 was the only way to set up a website, based on worldwide stats. These days people must be catching up and possibly heading towards an overall change in resolution. Does anybody know of official stats, and is it acceptable to design a page for a higher resolution?

I suppose it's an ongoing debate but any thoughts or feelings will be appreciated.

thanks! :)

2. deepdiver01

deepdiver01

3. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

nice one - thanks

4. namenotfound

namenotfound

Keep in mind this part though

Other websites, depending on their nature, may log different stats. So some sites may see more 1280x800 users than 1024x768 users ;)

5. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

That's cool though, as long as they're not using 800x600!

6. thecoalman

thecoalman

I laways get a chuckle when I walk into someones house and they have a large monitor set at 800x600...usualyy with a refresh rate of 60... :eek:

My opinion is neither, I build fluid pages so they fit into a web browser window maximized at 800x600.

7. namenotfound

namenotfound

I do the same, my site has a width of 97%, and all the banners are sized so they fit neatly at 800x600.

My monitor is set at 1280x800 with 96 DPI and a refresh rate of 60 Hertz.

There's nothing wrong with a refresh rate of 60, if you're using an LCD ;)

8. Gibble

Gibble

Fluid layout...the only way to go.

Your site should work and look good no matter the resolution.

9. DrP

DrP

10. covert215

covert215 Banned

It is interesting, but it accounts only for browser-wars, not screen resolution

11. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

Explain what you guys mean by the term 'Fluid layout' please?
    Meaning, it'll cater for every user, so in other words you are designing for 800x600? Or you design using percentages instead of pixels?

12. thecoalman

thecoalman

You are designing for both, 800x600 is the minimum resolution you can expect from user so you design the layout so it will fit into a browser window maximized at 800x600. For example you won't put an image into the design that won't fit...The containers are fluid so the content will expand as the browser window expands...

This forum uses a fluid design, click the restore button, grab the lower right corner with your pointer. As you move the window you'll notice the content expands...

Most of my sites use both. I usually have a fixed width container on the left for the navigation and a fluid container on the right for the content.

13. Greiffel

Greiffel Thread Starter

OKay I get it. Thanks a ton.
    Any chance of me seeing some examples of your sites?

14. namenotfound

namenotfound

http://www.eschultheiss.org/

The site will expand with the width of your browser. It fits neatly into 800x600, though some stuff looks too close together, it still fits the browser :p

15. puter hater

puter hater

May I ask how you achieve fixed over fluid? Otherwise what do you do to achieve fluid? what do u do to achieve fixed?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491013

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice