1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

8597 bad sectors and counting...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by no fear, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Hi all, I'm currently running HD Regenerator on my other computer and it's found lots (as you can see from the title) of bad sectors. It's slowly repairing them, but for every one it repairs, it finds another 5 or so.

Am I doing the right thing by just letting this run (It's been going all night and it's only checked about 20mb so far)

Is the amount of bad sectors rediculously high and should I just buy a new HD? I've been having problems with my hard-disk, when I get to a certain point (where all these bad secotrs are showing up), my computer starts restarting with a blue screen of death (kernal_inpage_error)

Will this Regen software repair it do you think? It says its repaired about 600 so far.

Sorry there's no real questions here, I was just wondering if anyone knows anything about if my drive could be repaired.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

I don't think you are doing the right thing. I would never entrust a drive with bad sectors to any data that matterred, especially when hard drives are so cheap and plentiful today!

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd say the chances that the drive will be fully repaired are extremely remote. I'd be shopping for a new drive.

With physical platter/head damage, there is no software on the planet that will "repair" the drive.

4. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

Cheers guys, I'll start looking for a drive now. Would I be right in saying that using my current drive as a slave could still work. I might just get a small cheap HD for sys folders and windows, and use my current one for everything else (I don't have anything important other than quite a bit of software installed and bits and bobs)

The software I'm using to 'repair' says it 'remagnetizes the surface without loss of exisiting data'. I didn't even know about it until I started looking up my HD problem and realised it was likely to be physical damage. (How it got damaged is a mystery in itself...it's not particularly old and I don't move it around at all)

I'll try and grad a bargain on a cheap small HD

Thanks for your help, Colin.

5. Rich-M

Rich-M

Safe, well no. Once a drive starts toi have bad sectors, throw it away. All it can do is go dead all together now and the last thing I would do is use it for data. technology marcehs forward, and hardware is getting cheaper and cheaper so there is no reason to live with defective hardware anymore.

6. JohnWill

I agree with Rich here, that drive is ready for the round-file. ;)

7. no fear

no fear Thread Starter

In that case...

Faulty Hard Drive for sale, name your price :p

I had better go shopping for one soon...would I be able to use something like Norton Ghost to do the whole transferring files thing? I believe my brother has it somewhere in his box of software.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

Many times the hard drives have free software that will do a drive to drive transfer as well, when you buy "retail" version, and yes current versions of Ghost can do this as well.

9. JohnWill

I'd get the drive SOOOOOOOON! :D

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489852

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice