1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

8800 GT idling to hot?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by B-Subs-Me, Mar 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Everyone else with an 8800 GT says that they idle around 40c-45c; none of the people I read of specified their fan speeds.

When I first got the card, it would idle at 43c with the fan running 100%; now it Idles at 49c with the fan @ 100%, and 57c on "automatic". I just finished dusting the card (and the whole case) with a tech vac, but that had no effect on my gpu's temperature (however the cpu cooled 2c).

-The card is and has always been OC'd to 648/956.
    -I always run my fan at 100%

I'm not sure what my load temps are; I'll go play crysis for a little and post them.

Any ideas of why I'm idling higher?

2. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Running crysis on high, 1280x1224 resolution, anti-aliasing quality 8x, my load temps were 66c; 67c peak.

3. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Doesnt sound too bad at all. I know mine are around that region, a few degres either way is as much environmental as anything. If its a hotter area, in terms of ambient temp, they will run hotter, if therig is stuck somewhere with less air around it, same thing. If idles were 10, 15 deg higher, maybe worry, but doesnt look too bad to me :)

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Re-opening thread.

What are the CPU and mainboard/case temps?
    What kind of case and cooling do you have?
    What brand is your 8800GT?

Since you are overclocked then you will have higher temps. but your loads temps are fine, they are lower then mine.

5. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

It now idles at 67C with the fan on auto. With the fan on max it idles at 58C.
    The card is no longer overclocked. I only had it overclocked for about a week.

Cpu idling: Core 0 = 38-39C, cores 1-3= 35-36 (OC'd to 3.0 GHz)
    Has this heatsink with a 120mm fan:
    http://www.tankguys.com/product_info.php?products_id=1735.

Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811166004
    It has 2 80 mm intake fans, a 120mm exaust on the back, an 80mm exust on the top.

Motherboard/case temps= ? The room isn't too unusually warm.

The card is a PNY.

6. Classics

Classics

My 8800 GTX from E-VGA was idling at 75, and 80 at load (not OC'ed) and I wasn't having any stability problems. That being said I put in a new fan (zalman).
    You probably won't have any problems running at your current temp, but in my opinion the stock cooling on the 8800's is sub par.
    Consider getting a new fan for lower temp and less sound.

7. B-Subs-Me

B-Subs-Me Thread Starter

Meh, that costs money lol. I was just wondering if 67C idle was high; it seems pretty high. The odd thing is that it seems to keep idling hotter and hotter the longer I've had it. Even after I dust it, the temps don't drop. Maybe the thermal paste is loosing it's efficiency or something. I'll probably just run the fan at 100% till it dies then upgrade it.

-Thanks for the help.

8. Classics

Classics

Yeah, when I switched out the fan there was almost no thermal paste on the old one. But like I said your temps are not that high for the stock fan on a 8800 from my experience.

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your temps are fine.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/698171

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice