1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

8800 gtx Black screen on boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by inis, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. inis

inis Thread Starter

Hey guys I have a problem with my graphics card. Few days ago I have put my PC into sleep mode for about 2 hours, when I returned and switched computer back on again screen didnt respond (everything else seemed to be okay, I just couldnt see anything on my screen, like monitor was on standby mode...) Since then whenever I turn my PC on I cant see anything at all on my screen. I also noticed that beeping sounds doesn't sound right, normally I have 2 beeps (1 beep and after 1-2 sec another beep) but now it takes about 5-7 sec to hear 2nd beep)

I have checked graphics card fan and it is working properly i think. I took my card out to one of my friends to check if its working but with no luck :( same problem occured on my friends PC. I also put my friend's card into my PC and it worked, I could see the startup screen again, so im pretty sure that it is my graphics card that's causing the problem.

I have updated my graphics card drivers 2 days before the problem occured. I have that computer for over 2 years and I never had any problems like this before. Would it be possible that sleep mode has caused my graphics card to 'lose' some power permanently? in other words, my card 'didn't wake up' properly from sleep mode? I think I tried every possible solution, I might even try the oven trick if I wont get it running, so please guys if you have any tips on how to get it running again I will be grateful!! :) thanks in advance!

P.S i'll update my specs soon...

2. Umbrella Corp

Umbrella Corp

maybe the fan stopped when you put it into sleep mode, and the graphics carried on as normal, thus burning the card out. Would explain why its not working in your friends computers either

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you installed the 196.75 drivers then there was a bug in them causing a fan failure and overheating, that could have damaged your video card. These are older drivers so you shouldn't have just updated to them unless you found on another site that didn't pull them.

But video cards fail, and when they do all you can do is replace them, most cards have 1 year warranties but some are loner, check with your card's manufacturer.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice