1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

8800GT 512 and XFX 680i LT mobo won't work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noeth2, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noeth2

noeth2 Thread Starter

I am way beyond my limited knowledge in computers. I was sold a 'white' box"
    nFORCE 680iLT SLI Motherboard
    - Intel Pentium D Dual Core 3.0 GHz Processor
    - 2 x 160 GB SATA Hard Drives- 1 GB DDR2 RAM
    - DVD +/- RW Dual Layer burner
    - Cooler Master X Dream 4 CPU Cooling Fan - Socket 775, Copper Core, Aluminum Fins
    - 1 Gbit built in LAN Adapter
    - PowerUp Black ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side, Front USB and Audio Ports and 450-Watt Power Supply

not knowing it needed a video (duh) and
    So, I bought what was recommended: an nVidia 8800GT 5123 MB, then 2 1TB Green WD drives, 2 sticks of 1GB OCZ Reaper ram (had to pull the 1GB that was in the box)

Now...I Finally have it up and running with a pci video card, and the 1TB drives unhooked. I have read and read some more with no help in sight about what to do about this video card or drives.

I am guessing that the Video card I bought bare, needs an auxilary power cable, and of course, all I have is the card...I cannot find any installation instructions for this card, so I don't even know what I am missing out of a new box.

Win XPro doesn't load with the 2 TB drives hooked up and I can't get the video card to do anything but beeeeeep..

Can some one help me PLEASE???

2. dman4862

dman4862

you probably need to a 6 pin PCI express power connector because the PCI express slot doesnt have enough power to run those bigger cards by itself, you can usually find those at most electronic stores like best buy and circuit city. That sounds like the problem with the video card. Secondly, the 2 TB drives are they in a raid configuration, extra storage besides the 2x160 gig satas or is XP loaded on one and another TB drive is storage? what exactly is the problem with the drives please elaborate

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

Two things I see right away may present a problem.

#1-Pentium D processors are somewhat power hungry. Any model of Pentium D's will either have an Intel PCG rating of 05A or 05B. For a 05A processor Intel recommends 13A continuous and 16.5A peak for at least 10ms on the +12v2 rail, and for the 05B processor Intel recommends 16A continuous and 19A peak for at least 10ms on the +12v2 rail.

#2-8800 series cards are also somewhat power hungry with various power recommendations from various manufacturers.

Generally speaking, (but not always) power supply's that come pre-installed in chassis are generally low quality with poor output. Look on the side of the power supply and there should be a sticker with the outputs on the various rails listed. Post whatever values are listed for the +12v rails. For EXAMPLE you may see under the +12v1 rail a number such as 15A, on the +12v2 rail xxA, etc. Post ALL the amperage numbers listed under the various +12v rails.

Also, post the EXACT model of your Pentium D processor.

4. Jones

Jones

I agree with win on this one. The culprit is more than likely your PSU.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700082

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice