1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

8800GT gpu's, EVGA compatible with BFG?

Discussion in 'Games' started by DocJammer, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DocJammer

DocJammer Thread Starter

I have an 8800GT OC nvidia card from BFG. I want to go to dual gpu's. I can't find the same card I have, can I get a EVGA 8800GT OC card and will it "dual-up" with my BFG? I understand all the 8800GT nvidia cards are pretty much identical other than the name on it.
    Thanks! Jeff

2. iwassnow

iwassnow

All I can say is maybe.
    Having Windows XP or better improves your chances dramatically, But I'm not entirely sure.

If you're looking for dual monitor capabilities, you might want to just get a dual monitor supporting card instead of buying another one that isn't. Bit easier to disable one and run a better one than try to get two working together. :)

3. DocJammer

DocJammer Thread Starter

Actually I have Vista Ultimate, so.....now where am I? lol

4. iwassnow

iwassnow

Friend of mine said no on the dual cards.

I KNOW you can dual monitor from a single card that allows it. Just can't garuntee it for two seperate cards. I'm pretty sure Windows will disable one of them, or they will conflict.

Since you're buying a new card anyway(assumption), get a good one that supports dual monitors. Personally, I like AMD producs, like the ATI Radeons, but that's a preference. Make sure you get one with a cooling fan. I'm gambling on dual monitors using more resources than just one.

Also you will probably need to make sure your two monitors use Digital AND analog connections, or Both on both. Most cards have one of each, and some monitors don't. If you have one that has both, though, you're set for the other one.

5. Jones

Jones

nVidia states that SLI requires two identical GPU's, but not necessarily two identical cards. You should be able to mix and match two GT's from different mfgs. The problem arises when you try to combine a GT with, say, a GTS. That kind of combo won't work.

EDIT: And no, SLI does NOT currently support dual-monitor setups. Only one monitor using SLI.

6. iwassnow

iwassnow

He seems more sure about it than me, trust him. ;)

7. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

No, you cannot mix and match, absolutely. I have had problems with cards by the same manufacturer with different memory, identical cards with different bios revisions, and trying to use 2 cards by different manufacterurs has pretty much no chance of working. Its hard enough getting 2 identical cards to work if they dont want to.
    Not trying to put a downer on SLI, personally I love it, but please be aware that yuo DO need to keep cards the same. Any decent retailer will know this. Just make sure when you buy they will allow refunds if it doesnt work with your other card, as SLI is, as I say, fussy at times. If they say no, try somewhere else. Its a big investment and that sort of monet doesnt grow on trees!

8. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Oh, for the dual monitor thing (dont know if it was part of the question really!), I use 2 vistas on my rig, one with SLI, which will NOT alloe multi monitor, and one with non SLI, where I can get 2, 3 or 4 monitors running happily, so no probs there :)

9. fbodyracer02

fbodyracer02

I do the same. One for gaming, one for work.

10. dandustoff

dandustoff

The NVidia website(link below) says that it is possible to pair different manufacturers' cards together if they are using the same GPU, i.e. EVGA and BFG. Same manufacturer cards with different memories and clock speeds are also possible (additional SW may be necessary).

HTML:

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#c3

11. dandustoff

dandustoff

The NVidia website(link below) says that it is possible to pair different manufacturers' cards together if they are using the same GPU, i.e. EVGA and BFG. Same manufacturer cards with different memories and clock speeds are also possible (additional SW may be necessary). I'm not willing to try this anytime soon, though.

HTML:

http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_faq.html#c3

12. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

Regardless of what the Nvidia site says, in my experience, and that of just about everyone I know, yo ucannot use different cards. Same cards do noty always work, different ones never do, in my experience.

13. DocJammer

DocJammer Thread Starter

Hey guys, here's the outcome. Both cards grouped up perfect! No glitches and they are running great. I can definitely tell the difference in my games. BUT, here's something weird, On all my games there is 2 thin white lines with a constantly moving green fluxuation between them And the letters SLI next to it. This obstructs my game. Anybody know how to get rid of it? Thanks

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/706601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice