1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

8800gts 512 sli

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cornman, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cornman

cornman Thread Starter

Right now I have one 8800gts 512, my cpu is an e6750 and I am wondering if getting another 8800gts will improve crysis a lot. My motherboard right now is a gigabyte p35-ds3l, if I get another video card for sli I will get an evga 780i motherboard. I am also using xp home addition and running crysis at 1280x1024. Right now with everything on high and 8x aa I get around 20fps average, how much fps gain will I get if I get a 780i and another 8800gts?

2. dman4862

dman4862

you most defintely would get better perfomance running 2 of those cards in SLI espcially on crysis where more horsepower is needed. I tend to stay away from gigabyte because most of their boards that i have come across, not all of them though, use the intel chipsets which do not support SLI. Actually the 8800GTS g92 cards actually have about the same performance as the 8800 GTX g80 series cards which is pretty amazing.H ere is an interesting article i found that compares each 8800 family card and bench marks them (crysis is included in the bench marks, they did run 2 8800GTS 512MB in SLI . they used a 680i board for benching im not really sure how more the 780i would give you in terms of FPS)

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/nvidia_geforce_8800_gts_512mb/

hope this helps a little

3. cornman

cornman Thread Starter

Thanks dman that really helps a lot, I've been searching all day to find a chart that compares a single 8800gts against two in sli.

4. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

That card is already maxing the game in directX 9 mode. If you get another one for SLI then might as well take the plunge into Vista in order to enable the very high options in Crysis. It makes the game look amazing and you'll get very good frame rates with two. If you went ahead with the upgrade and didn't go to vista it wouldn't be worth it IMO because it would just be increasing the frame rate to ~30 FPS if I had to guess. That number makes sense when thinking about the typical SLI yields. If you want a large boost in frame rates try turning the AA to 4x, or even to no AA, that's what is killing your performance. This is how I run crysis, I have my comp specs listed by my screen name.

I run vista 64
    Everything is on very high except post processing and shadows, which are on high
    no AA
    1600x1200 resolution
    I get about 20 FPS with a completely patched crysis, and your card is better than mine. The no AA makes a huge difference, when I set it to 8x my frame rates drop to about ~10.

5. gomes

gomes

Crysis isn't just GPU dependent. A stable motherboard, a good CPU and PSU is a must, and you're going to need AT LEAST 2 GB of RAM to play it pretty smoothly. Crysis was a game more aimed towards the future, because we lack sufficient hardware to play it, unless you're willing to spend 1800 on a new PC.

6. cornman

cornman Thread Starter

Crysis is more gpu dependent than anything else, My cpu usage never goes over 50% when playing it. I have 2 gb of mushkin pc6400. I'm having a hard time overclocking my cpu past 2.8 ghz, When I raise it any more than that I get bsods and shutdowns. I thought the e6750 could be overclocked more than that.

7. DaChew

DaChew

overclocking is a very advanced science today, your bios is probably not set right for your memory

if your power supply is anemic a second video card will make it worst

premium cooling and a proper mount of the hsf are essential to passing 3 Ghz

8. cornman

cornman Thread Starter

Yes my bios is set right for the ram it is set to 800mhz and 4-4-4-12 which is correct. My power supply will not be a problem, I have a corsair vx550 with 41 amps on the single 12v rail. I also have a zalman 9500 cooler and it is mounted correctly, my cpu runs at around 30 degrees C full load. I am not a noob, I know what I'm doing.

9. DaChew

DaChew

did you clock back the memory before raising the fsb?

what mem voltage are you using?

what command rate are you running?

10. cornman

cornman Thread Starter

Thanks, I totally forgot to downclock the ram, I checked and its running at 850 right now and it's stable, should be at 800mhz.

11. cornman

cornman Thread Starter

Yep, that was the problem, its letting me overclock now, thanks!

12. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

That power supply is pushing it if you want to SLI those cards. It will probably work but it will be pretty loaded.

For overlcocking Intel processors setting the memory to a 1:1 ratio with the FSB is the first thing you do. How are you checking if it is stable?

13. cornman

cornman Thread Starter

It's not crashing or anything after a few hours of ut3, I'd say thats pretty stable.

14. DaChew

DaChew

Unless you raise/relax the cas settings, most ram will not keep up with core2Duo's or the amd64's

Motherboards and bios's are all a little different

So you need to set the ram to run slower to compensate for raising the frontsidebus

Then you have to use a program to see what the ram actually ends up running at

If they would just unlock the multipliers then you wouldn't have to fool with this

Don't push your ram unless you have a fan on it

15. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

I wouldn't. Download Orthos and run it on priority 9 or 10 for about 10 hours. Do a mixed CPU and Memory test. If it doesn't crash THEN it is stable.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/700441

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice