1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

8gb setup by 2 sets of 4gb kits?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NoviceTechie, Apr 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NoviceTechie

NoviceTechie Thread Starter

Hello,

I wanted to know if it was possible to achieve an 8 gb setup by using 2 sets of 4gb kits.

From every article I've read so far, I was told that to achieve dual channel on both channels you simply needed all 4 chips to be identical (exact model). But I wanted to verify if there was some stipulation I wasn't aware of..

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    As long as the motherboard has 4 slots, and supports 8GB of RAM total, 2GB per slot, and as long as you have a 64-bit version of Windows then it should work. You can and should also look at the memory compatibility list from the motherboard manufacturer if they have one and see if that setup is supported, which it should if the previously mentioned stipulations are met.

3. NoviceTechie

Hmm. I was wondering if this would work - 8gb is really a bit much for my setup (I don't do anything intensive aside from warcraft..)

If the mobo is specified for dual channel ddr, 4 slots, can I load 4gb in one channel (2gbx2) and a lower 2gb (1gb x 2) on the other channel? Would the gain be cumulative, or does everything need to match - voltage, cas latency, etc?

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can actually run unmatched pairs or unmatched single sticks in dual channel, it'll work just not as nicely as if fully matched. Dual Channel doesn't actually make a huge difference in real world performance anyway.

Do you have a 64 bit version of Windows? WoW doesn't need more then 2GB of RAM anyway.

5. NoviceTechie

I just upgraded to windows 7 pro (x64).

Weird story but I upgraded from WinXP pro.. wondered why my system only showed 3gb of ram, turns out one of the sticks on my 4gb set was just 1gb. I don't know if they mislabeled it, or if one side died from a double sided module, but I found out a year later and OCZ is rma'ing it. I figured I'd buy the same set of ram from newegg and combine all 4 sticks into an 8gb setup.

6. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    What motherboard do you have? Do you know that it supports 2GB sticks?

7. NoviceTechie

I have a M3N78 PRO mobo. Its pretty old, supporting mainly AM2+ sockets. I checked the manual, it supports 512, 1gb, and 2gb configs.

It concerns me though. I ordered a 4gb set from the QVL. Its 1.8-1.9v setting. 5-5-5-15 CAS latency.

If the RMA goes through, they'll be giving me a 1.9v setting module set (2gb x2) with 5-5-5-18 CAS latency.

The -15 and the -18.. does it make a difference if I decide to use all 4 sticks (2gb x 4)? Or do only the 3 preceding #'s (5-5-5) matter?

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its timings, it shouldn't have any noticeable effect.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/918881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice