1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

9-in-1 Media Reader Quit Working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brittanytg, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brittanytg

brittanytg Thread Starter

When I insert any kind of photo card into the media reader in the front of my CPU, nothing happens. The light doesn't come on or anything, it's like it's dead. Like it's not getting any power at all. Is there any way to check this without taking my entire computer apart? If I must take the CPU apart, can someone walk me through it, step by step, so I don't mess anything up?
    Remember - I'm a GIRL (a smart one, but still a girl). ;) :D

2. photolady

photolady

First, are you having any other issues with your HP? If not, then it's probably the reader that has died and not a power issue which could stop some components from working correctly. Is the computer still under warranty?

And being a Girl has nothing to do with it. As per my name, I am a PC Tech Shop Manager, which makes me smarter than the average guy. :D

3. seekermeister

seekermeister

If being a Girl doesn't make you smarter than a man, being a PC Tech Shop Manager only makes you smarter than some men, about some things. Therefore, sex or title has little to do with anything.

4. Rich-M

Rich-M

Have you looked at the plugs inside to see if they are encrusted with crud?

5. photolady

photolady

seekermeister, you obviously didn't see the end. It said Average guy, which means the non tech guy. DUH!! LOL

Rich this computer was first offerend in August 05, I doubt it has had time to encrusted with crude.....but that also depends on where she has the computer located and whether or not she has animals, dusty dirt roads too. Brittany, check there is no dust buildup in the plug itself.

6. brittanytg

Okay, well, you guys took the battle of the sexes to the next limit, eh? :p
    Anyway, I've had it less than 8 months, so I doubt that there is a corrosion problem. no other problems with the HP - just not getting any power to that one component. It reminds me of when a fuse in your car blows - just one little component not working, everything else is great.
    I have not opened the CPU to check out the situation inside at all. That's what I'm wondering - if I can fix it without opening it, and if I need to open it, I need to be walked through it step by step. NOT because girls are dumb, but because I don't know tools.:D

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

Hey if the PC is that new, why are we doing this just call HP as anything has at least a 1 year warranty on hardware.

8. brittanytg

nope - already tried that. I am not under warranty because I didn't pay extra for it. :(

9. Rich-M

Rich-M

HP actually sells a pc with no warranty? OMG what will all these thieves do next?

10. brittanytg

well, it's just not under warranty any more. I was under warranty for 90 days, apparently. But what breaks in less than 90 days?!?!?!? Oh well....

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

Even Dell has a minimum 1 year warranty...

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/488405

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice