1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

9 Old Computer still running - Advice for maintance?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CrazyComputerMan, Mar 23, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    Hi everyone!

I’m just doing a file sorting for old desktop computer which will “resigning” and plan to use old computer as part of network which I can use new Win 10 Desktop tower and access old computer occessional time (when I need the files to take from network, wont be on alltime)

I just had a thought, I realised the computer can’t live forever however I’ve been occasionally using computer for website design and media works, but that’s stopped now as I resigned as part of charity.

The old computer health looks good and about every two to three years - I give a deep hardware maintance such as all parts removed and dusted and removed it CPU fan and replace thermal paste to keep things running smoothly.

The thing is I have some media that i’d like to keep it for a while. I know some hard drive can’t live longer. I don’t think chkdsk will help with that. I wonder if there are software which will tell me how the healthy are hard drive?

Many thanks.

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Check if your hard drive has any health monitoring S.M.A.R.T. technology built in. The drive manufacturer should have a utility available for reading the status. It may give you advance warning of a slowly building failure.

EDIT: If the files you wish to keep are important to you, they should be backed to another drive no matter how healthy your old drive may still be.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  3. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    This applies to ALL data on ANY drive. Doesn't matter if the HDD is brand new or 10 years old. Don't trust or ASSUME your data is safe. Keep at least one copy, two or more is best.

SarahSims likes this.
  4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Anything important we make sure we have at minimum 2 copies stored on different media. Nothing lasts forever.

I trained my husband never to store his files on the computer. He started working with Windows 95 which was prone to crashing. He was a college prof and needed to give tests and exams at certain times and have his grades in by a deadline. He made 2 floppies of every thing he used. When the computer crashed, he used my computer to get his work done. When a floppy of his files didn't work, he pulled out the 2nd copy, immediately made a copy of it so he had 2. I'd format the "bad" floppy and he'd continue working.

Even today USB sticks become inaccessible, CDs and DVDs can go bad. External portable hard drives have problems. SD cards and microsd cards can't be read. Two copies ensures you have a safety net. I have issues with USB sticks, CDs, a portable hard drive and sd cards. I was always glad I had another copy to use.

SarahSims likes this.
  5. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan Thread Starter

First Name:
    Robert
    There’ll always be Google Cloud there. I’ll save some few video files there and pass school plays to school archive so they will able to save the copies.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Google probably has disclaimers that excuse them from everything. Better to keep a local copy of your data.

Other than that, if an old PC breaks down, keep all the OK parts. That way you can use them to rescue another old PC.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1224861

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice