95/98 can't see XP shares

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

JimShaffer

I had a LAN working just fine. I installed a new computer running XP. XP can see all the shares on 95/98 pcs, and 95/98 pcs can see the XP pc, but can't access the shares -- always asks for password "Password needed to access \\NADIA\IPC$". No passwords work, and shares are set up so no passwords are supposed to be needed. Interestingly, asks for password without allowing browsing, suggesting it's not share-related, but IP level password that's being sought. I'm very frustrated. Can anyone help?

The IPC$ is the administrative share for file and printer sharing. Is the workgroup name the same as the other computers on the network? Is the C: drive or other drive set up as a shared drive?

JimShaffer

I matched up the workgroups, set up a user on XP with a known username and password that I used on the 98 computer. Still got the same result. Everything I'm reading says it has to do with that username/password combo on the 98 computer matching up with one of the username/passwords on the XP computer. I set up a username/password on the XP computer, then did the same on the 98 computer. Same message. I had this same issue when I was setting up SAMBA on my Linux machine elsewhere, and the username/password thing fixed it. I guess I just have to go over it again and make sure I'm not missing a step somewhere.

You still get that IPC$ login prompt no matter what you do? What files system are you using NTFS or FAT

JimShaffer

Good question. It came with XP native from Gateway. What's the quickest way for me to find out?

Go to My Computer and right click the C: drive and select properties.

Del

If you are in an O/S using NTFS you can see Fat and Fat32 but it in an o/s using Fat or Fat32 you can't see NTFS..
Del

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online