1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

95-98 upgrade

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gaimer, Jan 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gaimer

gaimer Thread Starter

My friend has an old win95 box and I'm gonna upgrade it to 98se with an upgrade disk. The only reasons for this are to gain usb and fat32 support. The question I have is when it asks for the cd key will I have to enter the win95 cdkey or will a win98 cdkey work? I want to save everything thats on the drive and not have to re-install stuff...ya know...leave the registry intact. He has a new copy of win98se/full and it won't do an upgrade from within win95. I have a copy of 98se/upgrade. Could I just use the cd key from his disk? We can't find the cdkey to win95 :(

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You can get his original W95 key from the registry this way but I believe it will only want the ProductKey from the W98SE Upgrade.

Start>Run, key in Regedit and press enter. Click on Edit>Find, key in ProductKey and click on FindNext.

If for some reason the Search doesn't locate it, you can navigate to this location in the registry and you'll find it in the Right pane just after you click on the CurrentVersion key in the Left pane.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion

BTW, its been a while since I've run a W98 upgrade and I could be mistaken but I'm pretty sure you'll also need to have the W95 CD. I wish I could remember for sure but it's been a long time since I've done one.

3. gaimer

gaimer Thread Starter

I had to rename win.com to win.old , Windows to win95 , and loaded 98 from dos. My upgrade cd was for 98 1st edition only and my friends cd was an oem full install. Then I had to drag and drop misplaced files. I had to fdisk and format the unrecognized [over 2 gig] part of the drive. Whew! That was alot of work upside dropping in an upgrade cd :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64067

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice